1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Roosters or not??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hereford_girl_01, Aug 12, 2018.

1. hereford_girl_01

hereford_girl_01 In the Brooder

Aug 2, 2018
    I have 23 Buff Orpington hens and 2 Buff Orpington roosters. They are all 17 weeks old. They were all supposed to be pullets when I ordered them but I guess you can’t get them all right!! So anyways, I was wondering should I keep my roosters? I’m not looking for chicks, just eggs. I was curious if there’s anymore reasons that I need a rooster other than to get chicks. Thanks for the advice!!

2. redranger209

redranger209 Crowing

Apr 17, 2016
    Oakdale, CA
    Roosters break up hen fights, they protect the flock, they find treats for the hens, etc. It’s a no-brainer, plus I doubt the lack of desire to hatch chicks won’t last long. ;)

The Angry Hen, Kfults and Susan Dye like this.
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Rolling Down The River Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    If you just want eggs you don't need a rooster. Roosters can be an asset in some ways such as protection from predators, and being able to hatch eggs, and they can cause problems by being aggressive and harassing hens. Only you can decide what's right for you and your flock.

4. hereford_girl_01

Aug 2, 2018
    Well I think it would be fun to hatch chicks but I’m rather young, (about to become a teenager) and my mom says no chicks, I would love to though. What if my roosters are a little rough with my hens? They chase them around the yard and are already beginning to try to fertilizer their eggs and their just 17 weeks. They haven’t even began laying. Do I need 2 or should I keep just 1?

Susan Dye likes this.
  5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Rolling Down The River Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You don't need neither of them. One is definitely better than 2.

ChickNanny13 and Susan Dye like this.
  6. hereford_girl_01

Aug 2, 2018
    Thank you for your advice! I was thinking of getting rid of one of them because he’s kinda mean and hard headed. The other one is nicer, and not near as stubborn, but roosters will always be roosters.

ChickNanny13 and Susan Dye like this.
  7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road Premium Member 8 Years

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Honestly, you don't need any. A cockerel (male chicken under a year of age) may or may not be protective, break up hen fights, find food, etc. Your pullets (female chickens under a year of age) will figure things out on their own without a male if you choose not to keep either of them.

"Roosters will always be roosters" is not a good reason to let one become human aggressive or act out in any other way. They can be trained to give you your space, and to respect you. That's important. You do not want them to think they can flog or spur you, or fly at you.

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  8. hereford_girl_01

Aug 2, 2018
    Thank you for your advice, I didn’t mean “roosters will always be roosters” to mean that I let them be rough and aggressive, I just meant that they are stubborn animals.

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road Premium Member 8 Years

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Yes, they can be. Have you had roosters before?

10. hereford_girl_01

Aug 2, 2018
    No, this is my first time with chickens. I got them as chicks from the Cackle Hatchery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: