1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters or not

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by duzer, Sep 5, 2014.

1. duzer

duzer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2014
    Santa Barbara, CA
    My Coop
    Hi

I am a complete newbie to the world of chickens and have found this site very valuable

I am 99% positive that we have one rooster, maybe two and would love some help confirming this. All of the birds were hatched at my son's preschool and are about 16 weeks of age. We would hate to have to re-home them, but we live in a residential area.

Here is the chicken I think is a rooster. It has started what is somewhat of a grumbly crow in the morning. This activity just started over the weekend.

[​IMG]

I had paid attention to what I thought were saddle feathers as they grew, but these long pointy ones are new.

[​IMG]

Now of course i am starting to freak out that Chicken #2 is also a roo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both birds pictured are a bit on the aggressive side, but the black white one is much friendlier than the brown one.

As you can tell, I also have no clue to the breeds of the three, and would love to learn more about them.

Lastly, we will need to re-home any roosters. Any suggestions on how to do this in the Santa Barbara, CA area?

Thanks for your feedback!

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Both are roosters. The black and white (barred one) looks like a sex link rooster or a poor quality barred rock. The brown one might be a hatchery new hampshire.

The really thin shinny feathers (more of a red color) are the saddle feathers. Hackle feathers are the same way (can be a different color than the saddles) but are on the neck.
    [​IMG]

As for re-homing, you could do a Craig's list ad (I would suggest not asking the new buyer what they plan to do with the rooster).

3. Back2Roots

Back2Roots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Sorry to say I think they are both cockerels. I'm far from a breed-spotting expert though, so hopefully someone who has more experience will chime in.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - sorry.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Chicken #1 and Chicken #2 are roosters. Both look like mixed breeds. Rooster #2 may be a Black Sex Link rooster, or just a random mix.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both of them are definitely roosters. As for breed, they are probably random barnyard mixes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by