Roosters or straight run?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by noahsark, Aug 9, 2010.

1. noahsark

noahsark Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    The freedom rangers are ready for shipping at the hatchery..I am not sure if I should get staright run, or roosters..With the javas we did staright run, and at about 12 weeks, the roosters were naughty, picking on my pet brahmas, etc, crowing, etc... I know that the freedoms will br ready to cull at 11 weeks, so Im thinking this may be before they are hormonal, but Im wondering since they mature faster then the javas, does that mean they get naughty sooner as well? I need to call the hatchery by the morning, so any quick advice will be so appreciated.. What do most of you all do, and those experienced with Freedom rangers, when do they start getting naughty?
    Thanks so much

2. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    i have gotten SRs both times i've gotten rangers, and will continue to do so in the future. i like the different body shapes between the males and females.

as far as bad behavior...my rangers exhibited none. they were model citizens lol. if anything my laying hens gave the rangers a hard time, and it was good to have the ranger cockerels there to hold it down when the others were getting picked on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by