1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster's pecking order

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofchicks, Jul 20, 2008.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    Okay, I have 3 Roos and the main guy is/was a Deleware. He started crowing at 9 weeks and is real big and so on. Well my EE started crowing about 2 weeks ago (they are both 15 weeks now). The Deleware would crow then the EE would crow. I noticed 2 weeks ago my Deleware started getting 3 really long tail feathers that curved over, for his impressive tail I guess. Anyway, today I noticed all 3 tail feathers missing from the Deleware (Foghorn) and it dawned on me that I haven't heard him crow in a few days. But the EE (Pecks) still crows all the time. Could Pecks have de-throned Foghorn? Or could something else be going on? When one is the dominant Roo do the others just take a back seat at crowing and such?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Could have been dethroned, could have just set in he's top, or could just be a quieter guy. If you watch them, might be able to see who is top as they will get dibs and the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by