roosters per hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BEACH_45, Apr 20, 2008.

1. BEACH_45

BEACH_45 New Egg

Apr 20, 2008
    my brother has a mixture of roosters and hens(all different species on both)they all run loose and we are fixing to fix the coop that chickens were raised here once before(not the ones he has)ill guess he has 15 to 20 roosters and 10 to 15 hens.how many roosters per hen in each,how can i find out the species.is there a site with pics to determine different breeds

2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    You only need about 1 rooster per 10 hens.

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    It depends on what your using them for. In bantams (if your going to raise them) 2 roosters every 6 hens. (meaning. 3 hens a rooster) some people have 5 hens 2 roosters. in big chickens. would guess. 1 rooster every 5 hens. , and if you cant figure out why im saying this. its because the more hens and less roosters there are. Less fertile eggs. now if your going to eat the eggs. All you have to do is get a bunch of hens. hens will lay without a rooster. unless you want to eat fertile eggs. (which doesn't make any differenece)

4. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    I've seen an active, heavy-breed roo nearly bareback a flock of 14 hens inside three months. All of the hens were missing feathers to one degree or another and he wasn't about to slow down...It does indeed depend on the rooster, but what LinckHillPoultry said is a good general guide if you want healthy hens. Bantams do better in smaller groups.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The hens also can do with a break from a roo periodically. To rest and recoup.

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I would agree that at least ten hens per Rooster is necessary for the well-being of the girls. That's in standard breeds.

Also, you can go to any of the hatchery sites and get pictures of chickens to try and figure out what you have. If you can't figure out what they are by looking at those pictures then post them here and we'll help you.

7. BEACH_45

BEACH_45 New Egg

Apr 20, 2008
    thanks for all yalls help.ive seen some pics that helped but there are some that im still in question about. as soon as i get a digital camera ill post.ill keep yall up to date on things cause as im here with my brother im here to help him and curious to see how things come out of this project he has.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by