Roosters? Please help!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Guccibirds423, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Guccibirds423

Guccibirds423 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a lady give me 10 roosters today a mixture of bantam and some large fowl. Would it be safe for me to go ahead and butcher them? Is there anything I need to worry about such as worms or anything? i am just wondering about all this. They are all good size and healthy. But I dont need them. Please let me know. As I wanna do it as soon as possible!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Tomorrow sounds like a good day for processing. I can see no reason to not do so.

3. Guccibirds423

I DID IT! the first time ever. My first bird, a OEGB.. turned out pretty good i believe for my first time! :D
    [​IMG]

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    [​IMG]

5. HummingbirdHill

HummingbirdHill New Egg

Nov 27, 2012
    We actually skin them when we process. It cuts the time down considerably. Enjoy [​IMG]

6. Guccibirds423

well I just did a Chocolate OEGB and he has a lot of black pen feathers so the rest of the dark ones I am gonna skin.

7. Guccibirds423

My only problem is one of the roosters still had some blood in him when I plucked him. How can I get rid of this? also do you have any suggestions on getting the lil hairs off? I dont have a torch or anything like that!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  8. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    This has happened to me too. It seems to me like the excess blood drains during resting.

I also usually skin them. If you are roasting, the little hairs will burn off. Even on store purchased birds, you will see some. For me, it always seemed like any missed feathers etc came out really easy after removing them from the freezer and thawing. I don't worry about those little things. If my hubby has a problem with it, he can go to the grocery and buy meat. [​IMG]

9. Guccibirds423

HHAHAHAHAH!!!! That is what imma tell everyone.

10. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I did forget to add that he could also cook it himself. [​IMG]

We have had no store bought poultry or waterfowl in our kitchen in about a year except for the turkey he got from work for Christmas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by