roosters protecting hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by boykin2010, Sep 26, 2010.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Do roosters commonly protect hens from predators such as possums raccoons some dogs? If so what breeds of roosters are best. I really need one that is colorful and friendly but still protective of the hens. Any help is appreciated

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    A good one will try, but mostly they keep a look out and give a warning. A rooster is still just a chicken and no match for a chicken eating predator. A secure coop and run is the best thing to protect your flock.

3. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    my coop and run is very secure with chicken wire on top to keep out hawks my only concern is dogs digging underneath the bottom chicken wire and getting in there. Is there a friendly colorful yet protective rooster out there?

4. ChickGirl6

ChickGirl6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    EchoingAcres, MN
    Where are you from? I have some EE roosters that need new homes.

5. chris deiss

chris deiss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    omro , wi
    I have an Ancona that I bought because its supposed to be very alert and active. He {Louigi} is supposed to be an excellent bird if you have a lot of predators in your area . We have a large redtailed hawk and owl problem I lost 9 birds in 4 days also coons and fox and coyotes but my dogs help eith them . They are pretty cool looking but mainly black with white specks. Hope this helps

6. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    It's more of an individual thing then a breed thing. I really like all my roos--EE, SLW, and the super sweet EE/BO. A 2' hardware cloth apron along the outside of the run works well to keep the diggers out.

7. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    i live in south georgia and i have 1 auracana hen so another auracana rooster would be great!

8. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    i have actually thought about putting the wire on it like u said kittymomma. Are black australorps generally a good bird to consider as a protective rooster?

9. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:I've heard good things about them, but the only BA's I have are hens so I don't have any personal experience with BA roos.

10. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    A rooster can only protect a hen from a dog by sacrificing it's own life...unless it's a chihuahua! Get the wire and put it down to protect your hens! Then get the rooster for fun and to look at!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by