1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters roosting on my deck

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JeffGoodUSMC, Mar 6, 2017.

1. JeffGoodUSMC

JeffGoodUSMC New Egg

Aug 8, 2015
    My roosters have decided they want to roost on my deck railing & top of my grill beside the rail. The 2 of them & my 3 guineas have made this their sleeping quarters. They leave droppings all over the deck & grill top. They like to free range rather than being in a coop. How can I get them to relocate to roost in another location? Do I need to build them a separate roost in another location?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Do they have a coop? With a nice high perch? If they do, perhaps they will use that if you turn your hose on them every time they come onto your deck or deck rails.

3. JeffGoodUSMC

JeffGoodUSMC New Egg

Aug 8, 2015
    Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately they have chosen not to remain in a coop. However, I could make the arrangements, though the hens wouldn't like it too much. I like the water hose idea & I will use that. My wife & I were thinking of maybe building them a roost between the 2 coops also if need be. If not for the mess it wouldn't be an issue.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is your coop big enough for all the birds you have?
    Don't you worry about them getting eaten at night?

A roost out near coops that is higher than the deck railing might work....
    ...they'll still need some 'training' and/or 'persuasion' to use the new roost.

You could move them at night, well after dark, to the new roost....
    .....or just keep blasting them with the hose.

5. JeffGoodUSMC

JeffGoodUSMC New Egg

Aug 8, 2015
    Well, the water hose worked!!! I have a rooster in each coop now. The guineas haven't found a new roost yet but I'm working on them. The coops are full enough but I have a spot they can roost on the top, so I am hoping the guineas will finally figure it out so they can be near their rooster buddies. Thanks for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by