Rooster's severely infected shanks! What should I do?

consciousvoice63

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 23, 2011
Mission Hills
I don't know what to do. He has had this infection for months, and I'm barely taking action to cure his feet. I tried lancing and draining the infected area, but its hardened to point were I can't even press down on the cut squeeze out the abscess. Do you think I should go the veterinarian so they can fix him up? What do you think? Any help is greatly welcomed.

IMG_1410.jpg

Last edited:
I did use an antiseptic, Bactine, when I cut into his foot. The problem is that I can't even squeeze out the pus, and I'm a little scared that I might hurt him.
Thanks for replying...By you posting it will help others see this thread.

Last edited:
If you can afford it and he is valuable to you, I would take him to the vet. I don't know of any home fixin' that will help that. Make sure the vet is knowledgeable with birds/chickens, or else you could contact Peter Brown.

Last edited:
If you are really concerned about him, you may want to check out the Bumblefoot threads, to show you just how much you can cut into a foot and have it be good for him. Chickens don't really get pus like humans, it hardens up and is difficult to squeeze.
If he is trusting of you, and you have the stomach, you can try surgery yourself. If you could afford the at least, maybe $100., I would take him to the vet. You need to find someone that does chickens, as not all vets do. It would be good because you can get the right meds for the roo, and make a relationship with the vet for next time you have an emergency.
Just my opinion...

I would take him to a vet. It does look pretty severe and you said he has had this for months with no success. I hope they can save him and he gets better. I am sure it has to hurt him.

I can't afford it but I'm obligated and determined to do whatever is necessary. It's my fault that I didn't do anything sooner and because of my ignorance he has suffered.

I'm going to take him to Adler Pet Hospital. I went there once for one my chickens.
How much do you think it will cost?

It does appear you waited a long time to treat, it looks like it may be a little to late for an effective treatment.

Back
Top Bottom