Rooster's Sickle Feather is Bleeding Bad

poultrylubber

Songster
7 Years
Aug 13, 2012
Shivering in Northern Michigan!
I found one of the sickle feathers on my rooster is bleeding. The keratin sheath just kind of cracked and now there is blood all over it and my hens started pecking him. I have him removed from the flock. I bathed him to get all the blood off so I could see the feather. The more I look at it I am thinking it would be best to just pull the whole feather out.
If someone has experience with removing a bleeding feather I would really be grateful for some advise.

I would remove the feather. Once it is pulled out, the skin will close over the hole and the bleeding will stop. The feather is just acting as a tube for the blood to come out.

To pull it out, just grasp it firmly at the base. You can use your hands, or you can use pliers to get a better grip. Then, just quickly jerk at it, and it should come out pretty easily. Your rooster may squawk, or he may remain quiet as though nothing happened.

Yes, it would be best to pull the feather out. Grasp it firmly at the base with pliers or your fingers, and then slowly pull it straight out. Don't worry if the bird squawks; the feather needs to be removed or it will continue bleeding. Once you have the feather out, if the area is still bleeding, apply some flour, cornstarch, or styptic powder to the area. If necessary, apply gentle pressure with a paper towel to the bleeding area.

Back
Top Bottom