Rooster's Spurs Are Growing In....can They Be Removed?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Muggsmagee, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Is it possible and/or necessary to remove the spurs of a rooster? [​IMG] My understanding is that they can inflict damage to the hens while breeding, AND obviously use them in an attack. If there is a preventative measure I should probably take it, right? My roos are all docile (so far)...just want to be prepared for the sake of my family and hens. (BCM's, Welsummers, Jersey Giant, Ameraucanas, and Salmon Faverolles around 6 months old.)

Any help/advice is welcome.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Yes you can! Once they are big enough, grab ahold of them with pliers and pull straight out. Won't hurt him, won't hurt you, everyone's happy!

3. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:Agreed, and if they bleed at after just stick a ciggeret butt on the left over pieces, it one stops bleeding 2 they wont pluck at it (like they would at flour) 3 it stops dirt or anything getting onto them and causeing infection. [​IMG]

4. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have been wondering this same thing and would like to know how big is big enough? What is a good age to do this and how does it not hurt them?
    [​IMG]

5. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Ummm...okay!?! I grasp the concept of cauterizing...I don't foresee myself buying a pack of cigarettes just for this procedure though...I might just pick up smoking again! [​IMG] However, if I just take plyers and pull the spurs out, do they grow back? How deep is the wound/spur? Also, BayouPoules brought up a good question..."how does this not hurt them?". What about treatment afterward? Would it be better to put an ointment on it and wrap it up? I sure don't want to wing it, and come out of it making a huge mistake at the cost of the bird's life. [​IMG]

If anyone has more clarification, that would be great! Much appreciated. [​IMG]

6. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    I've never done it before, going to have to soon, but here's a video of someone doing it. Looks super easy!

7. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    I've never done it before, going to have to soon, but here's a video of someone doing it. Looks super easy!

Thanks NeeleysAVLChicks. I watched that link and another, and am left with another question. If the spur itself is just pulled off, what is that part that is left behind? Does that mean it grows back? Hmmm...
    Also, I saw another video that shaved the spur down with a razor blade, then cut the top off. It bled, and he put something in it. The camera wasn't focused, so I couldn't read what it was.

I may want to have someone else do it for me the first time!

I still appreciate everyones input.​

8. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Yes the spur will grow back, but it does s a take a while for it to grow back again, teh piece left behind i call it basically the nerve, like if you split a finger nail down to the point where it bleeds.

I feel the bird does feel it, but it really does not bother them at all, they will walk like nothing happen to them.

LOL On the cigerett thing, we dont smoke, my mom does so we just take her filter froma used one. i like useing them becouse it really works, it hold off the blood and they cant get it off like they would of a bandage they will pluck a bandage off and peck at the flour.

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

To answer if it is necessary...

If your rooster attacks people, it should go to the soup pot anyways, so ordinarily, spurs don't harm anyone.

If the roo is an agressive mater, his toe nails and feet will do plenty of damage on their own so unless his spurs are more than an inch long, I would not worry.

They do grow back and the stump left is basically the "nail bed". My rooster has just broken them off himself on accident when they get to be 3 inches long or so. A bit of blood, but not bad. He doesn't damage his hens since he's calmer, and as a young roo, his spurs weren't that big.

10. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:Your are so right, i had a cochin rooster had very small spurs his kick from his foot alone hit a nerve in my hand and left it hurtin for days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by