Roosters Spurs

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ProudNewChickenMommy86, Nov 19, 2011.

1. ProudNewChickenMommy86

ProudNewChickenMommy86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    Acworth, Ga
    I Would Like To See Pictures Of Your Roosters Spurs... I'm Going To Take Some Pictures Tomorrow Of My Roosters Spurs. They Are Absolutely Huge!!! Like As Big As My Pinky Finger And Just As Big Around Lol. So Please Insight Would Be Great!

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    My boys spurs are 2 inches long! and still getting longer.
    sorry dont have a pic

3. ProudNewChickenMommy86

ProudNewChickenMommy86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    Acworth, Ga
    I swear mine are like 3 1/2 inches! They are so huge I can't get over it! I'm in shock!

4. i saw these things at one of our shows and had to have a photo of them. they were actually touching his underneath. I wondered how these didnt bother him?

[​IMG]

5. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I don't recommend allowing their spurs to grow that long. They can inhibit their ability to walk and cause alot of damage to the hens. They are very easy to pull off and will not hurt him.

If you use a pair of pliers hold the base of the spur at the leg and twist back and forth, don't squeeze too hard or you will pinch the inner spur. The outer spur casing will come off, leaving a shorter spur. There may be some blood, use quick stop powder if it bothers you. Depending on the length of the spur and the age of the Roo it may take some twisting but he will be better after.

PS-I am a small woman and have no trouble doing this USUALLY with just my fingers-no pliers. I help out at the local poultry show and help the 4H exhibitors trim before showing. It looks natural and not as dangerous as cutting-I do not recommend cutting spurs, if you cut the quick it will bleed alot.

Here is a video I found on Youtube - easy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by