Roosters supply ingredient for $800 shot

Mattemma

Crowing
10 Years
Aug 12, 2009
Did anyone ever hear of parts of roosters being used for medicine? My mom has a customer that gets a monthly shot that costs $800.This shot contains fat or something from the rooster neck area.This fat is processed and used in injections to create lubrication .He has something wrong with his knee,and gets this shot for that area.

I have not looked into it yet,but thought geez all those roosters culled at birth or later when found out to be roosters.....could turn quite a profit.
Ofcourse maybe these are *special* roosters.Special breed or something.
Good money for someone if it is true!

What I found so far......

******Synvisc
This is an injectable substance made from rooster cartilage cells; it is marketed as a 'motor oil' or lube for the joint. Patients usually receive a series of three to five Synvisc injections. The company that markets Synvisc states that it acts as a lubrication and shock absorber.

Pros: Also a well-tolerated medication, Synvisc is easy to deliver into the knee joint through a needle. Relief of symptoms may help delay the need for surgery after Synvisc treatments.

Cons: Synvisc has only been approved for use in the knee joint, and studies have shown questionable results. There is no evidence to show Synvisc will reverse any effects of arthritis. A best, patients have pain relief for a period of time.

"Easy to inject into the knee"....

I disagree. I had a knee injury, as a child and had several huge injections into my knee, to put in radioactive iodine, for x-rays. They must mean easy for the doctor. Eesh. My knee was swollen and purple. It gurgled for days, when I'd bend it.

Yes!

I heard of it. My dad had them last year. A series of three injections over a six month time span.

My understanding was the ingredient was made from rooster combs.

The injections were not painful to him and they did help for a short time.

Back
Top Bottom