1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster's tail looked droopy, then he died - Now another rooster has a droopy tail

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rairai979, Feb 21, 2014.

1. rairai979

rairai979 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2013
    New Hartford, CT
    The subject pretty much says it all. One of our rooster's had a fairly droopy looking tail. We had just had several snow storms so we thought he was probably wet, but then when we went to feed one morning, he was gone :(. Now another one of our roosters isn't looking to good, same droopy tail. Our hens look fine and are laying regularly. Any ideas? They eat poulin layer pellets and some dried mealworms on the side as a treat (not everyday). They have plenty of fresh water, we got out 3 times a day to make sure they have water. Any ideas?

Edited: I forgot to mention their age - they're a year old.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I'm afraid that "droopy tail" isn't a diagnostic indicator. If there was no other observable condition or behavior you won't find any meaningful answers here.

3. rairai979

Jun 3, 2013
    New Hartford, CT
    He's acting completely normal. Eating, drinking, etc. He still seems playful with the other rooster and hens. The other rooster didn't look sick either.

4. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    If you can send him of for a necropsy would give you answers.

There is so many things that could have killed him, diseases, parasites, crop issues, coccidious, etc.

Treat all birds with safeguard for deworming and treat for mites/lice with sevens dust. Start with this, hopefully you don't have anymore deaths. A necropsy can give you peace of mind with an answer.

5. rairai979

Jun 3, 2013
    New Hartford, CT
    Thank you. I'm going to separate the second rooster when I get home and take your advice to start treating the birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by