ROOSTERS TERROR

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jonjoka, Aug 8, 2008.

1. jonjoka

jonjoka Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2008
    I have four roosters against 8 hens. They really are terrorising the hens . Beside freezer, anything else I can do. Hate to sell them too. They are so friendly when I walk towards them they come to meet me to see if mama brought them something.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Put all but 1 in a seperate coop & run.

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I have 2 roosters and 6 hens and I ended up separating them. I put a divider in my 15'x5'6" coop, kept the hens in the run and allow the roosters to free range in the backyard. Hens and roosters are happy, roosters for the most part ignore the hens, unless one starts squalking, then they run over to see what is going on.

4. kinardmommy

kinardmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Texas
    I put one rooster to ten hens. I have five young roos that are coming to age (if you know what I mean) and they have started harassing the pullets(all are about 15 weeks). I am selling four of the five young roosters in the morning to a lady that fattens them to eat. I myself do not like to eat chickens that are not "meat chickens". When a rooster comes into his manhood he will take it anywhere he can get it. For the sake of your precious hens(they are the ones who produce the eggs for you) you need to get rid of those roosters. It is not their fault they act the way they do, but if you do not have enough hens to go around that is your only choice. If your hens could talk they would tell you "please hurry".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by