Roosters that arent behaving in a good way!

Frizzll Farm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 5, 2013
Hello, My question is once a rooster starts to attack you when you enter the pen and stalk you the entire time you are in there, running at you every chance he gets, Is this behaviour breakable? or is it time to find a new one? I really didn't want to get rid of him at all, he is a gorgeous Ameraucana, but I cant have him acting this way at all. Taking a shield with me to collect my eggs sounds silly.

Sometimes it is breakable, sometimes it isn't. You might try showing your dominance to him by:

1. During feeding/treat time, giving his hens food first, and then him. A dominant bird always eats first, and then lets the others eat. You need to be that dominant bird.
2. Grabbing him when he attacks you and carrying him around while you do any chores. Being picked up is probably the last thing he wants you to do when he attacks.
3. Another thing to do when he attacks is pin him to the ground. Force him to lay on the ground, with his head lower than his back. Only when you think he has been down long enough should you let him up; he shouldn't decide when.
4. Throughout the day, when you're around him, randomly speedwalk towards him, aim a (fake) kick at him, or knock him off a roost. That is what a dominant rooster would do. It teaches subordinate roosters to be cautious.

Try those above methods for a few weeks, and see what happens. If he is still mean, and you don't want to be around him, getting a new rooster might be the only option.

Best of luck!

Sometimes it is breakable, sometimes it isn't. You might try showing your dominance to him by:

1. During feeding/treat time, giving his hens food first, and then him. A dominant bird always eats first, and then lets the others eat. You need to be that dominant bird.
2. Grabbing him when he attacks you and carrying him around while you do any chores. Being picked up is probably the last thing he wants you to do when he attacks.
3. Another thing to do when he attacks is pin him to the ground. Force him to lay on the ground, with his head lower than his back. Only when you think he has been down long enough should you let him up; he shouldn't decide when.
4. Throughout the day, when you're around him, randomly speedwalk towards him, aim a (fake) kick at him, or knock him off a roost. That is what a dominant rooster would do. It teaches subordinate roosters to be cautious.

Try those above methods for a few weeks, and see what happens. If he is still mean, and you don't want to be around him, getting a new rooster might be the only option.

Best of luck!
Thank you very much I will try this :)

Back
Top Bottom