Roosters that attack?

chicamama

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Topanga Ca
My friend bought 7 chicks and ended up with a rooster.
the rooster (less than 1 year) started attacking her kids. Fly in theoir face and scratch type of attack. Her chicks free range during the day and coop at night. She barely intercepted an attack on her 2 year old. She brought the rooster to a horse farm where she boards her pony.
Is this common? What do you think was going on?

That is normal aggressive cockeral/rooster behavior. Because a rooster is a chicken and small does not mean he is not dangerous. A rooster is no different than a bull or a stallion. He only comes in a much smaller package.

I have no room on my place or in my barn for an aggressive rooster. I would get rid of him and not pass him on to someone else to be a danger. He would be in my stew pot.

It is very important to know that rooster can mame and even kill a small child if they have decided to flog them. A small child would be unable to fend off such an attack.

It happens and there are measures you can take to avoid it. Rooster-red has a good link for dealing with roosters. https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2588-Roo_behavior

If
you take steps to correct this problem and it persists, if it were me I would put the rooster down. I have a special place in the stew pot for roosters like this. A rooster attacking your children is very serious and they can put your child's eyes out or even kill them. Thy have wings, beaks and spurs that can inflict serious damage. Good luck to you with this problem.

Edited to add: If it were me, I would simply eat him. I have small children and refuse to let dangerous animals around them.

Last edited:
her kids are fine. A few scratches before he could get in
some real scary damage. I'm afraid had that happened here my dh (or, actually myself) may not have been nice enough to give him a ride somewhere.

I agree with Ms. P. I wouldn't pass that trouble on to someone else. You can't train a rooster. I would be particularly careful around small kids. Most damage is usually done to adult's legs, but they would hit a toddler in the face.

Get rid of that rooster. He'll stew up good at his age.

We have a SLW rooster slated for culling for this same reason. Ours went after my 5 year old and we were lucky enough to be right there when it happened. I wacked him with the shovel right before he laid into my little girl, and he was coming at her from behind.
Our other SLW roo (also slated for culling) has flogged me, and our boxer.

Once mean, always mean. MissPrissy is right.
Stewpot.

Em

Quote:
Well they told her he was doing great at the horse barn, but they may just have said that as they picked chicken meat from between their teeth. Now that you all mention iit, there are loads of kids that train at this barn. A mean rooster would be baaaaad for business.

Quote:
Not all roosters behave like this. My salmon faverolle rooster is quite gentle around people and still is protective of his girls when a threat comes. A rooster adds a lot of color and personality to a flock and his main benefit is that many times roosters will die protecting their flocks from predators. Those are his girls and he will defend them to the death if need be.

Back
Top Bottom