1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters that do not crow

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by peepers_keeper, Jul 7, 2010.

1. peepers_keeper

peepers_keeper New Egg

Jul 7, 2010
    Is there a breed of layers where the roosters do not crow or make a lot of noise

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

i can't say they don't crow, but all my Salmon Fav roos are very quite.

3. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    If you find one that DOES NOT crow, clone it. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    ive heard of silkie roos that dont crow and silkie hens that dont lay but that must be pretty rare. my silkie rooster was definitly not one of those noncrowers [​IMG]

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I have 8 MF Cochins that don't crow, but they are all still kinda young and teeeny weeeny compared to my dominant roos.

6. katdam

katdam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    texas
    i have 4 RIR roos and only 2 crow..i know that 1 of the other ones can crow but he doesn't crow when around the crowing roosters...only when he was inside for treatment..my tail less rooster i have never heard him crow...my husband is beginning to wonder if he's even a rooster!

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    To be honest and to the point, there are no rooster that don't make noise.

8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:My thoughts exactly. There is no breed 'known' for not crowing. Certain individual birds may be oddly quiet but after owning many roosters in my life, I can tell you right now that it's unlikely. All roosters crow, some more than others. It comes naturally.

And as far as Silkies go, yes, they crow. Very loudly, in my case. And they have the squeakiest, most annoying voices. [​IMG] And as far as the hens not laying, well, I've heard of that too and feel there is some truth to that. [​IMG]

9. chick_magnet

chick_magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    Quote:I had a silkie and he didn't crow too much. He crowed two morning out of a week. It was still too much for me thought

10. JoJo 95

JoJo 95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    I had a mutt that didnt crow. and the reason why I knew it was a roo is b/c he was my only one and I still got fertilized eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by