1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters: The Good The Bad & The Ugly

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChicknBaron, Sep 12, 2012.

1. ChicknBaron

ChicknBaron Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    I liked having a Rooster around protecting my flock, but as i'm sure we all know they can get to the point where the cons out weigh the pros and then next thing you know they're for supper[​IMG]. However there were also many things i liked about having a roo around was one: it gave me a little peace of mind knowing that he protected as well as he did and two: it just seemed right to have a roo with 5 other hens. But then again he was sort of a double-edged sword, because he also was pretty rough on them (They were very pretty hens until he got all lovey on them, and messed up all there nice plumage)[​IMG]. And of course the crowing was cool at first but then got annoying and then i started worrying that if the neighbors complained then I'd get all of my chickens taken away, and i definitely didn't want that. So if any of you out there on this awesome BYC forum have any suggestions on your favorite DOCILE rooster breeds, then write 'em up in a reply, and don't forget to mention all their pros and cons. PPA! (personal preferences appreciated)

2. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    LOL - Docile rooster breeds? My main BR roo, Rex, is a great protector for the hens, but he sometimes decides that DH and I are interlopers. He has been booted across the pen a couple of times. My 2nd in command, Butch, is very people friendly. I completely trust him, even 2" from me, but it my only be because he's Roo #2.

I also have Marans. Unfortunately, out of 8 chicks I ended up with 6 cockerels. NOTE: I do not handle my chickens, they are livestock. My Marans are much more skittish than the BR's, none of them have ever tried to confront me.

Both of the breeds I have are LOUD. Rex crows every AM, starting between 4:30 - 5 am. He gets Copper and Ebony (Marans) going, as well as one of the triplets (BR). I still have 4 Marans I haven't seen crowing, hopefully they'll be processed before they all get going.

3. ChicknBaron

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    HaHa, ok, Thanks![​IMG]

4. CraftyChicky

CraftyChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Georgia
    I am wondering when is a good age to cull the roosters. I have 7 roosters out of 11 chicks... Only four little hens. [​IMG] So much for getting sexed chickens! Anyway, they are 14 weeks old now.

5. ChicknBaron

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    Not really sure about that :( sorry

6. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    It depends on the breed on when they should be culled. Now that my Marans and BR cockerels have started crowing, we'll probably process them in the next couple of weeks. They're around 5 months old. Yeah, they could get more size on them, but they're good fryer/grilling size now. Cornish cross get procssed earlier. Many varieties of heritage birds might take longer to grow out.

7. CraftyChicky

CraftyChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Georgia
    I just pulled out my Encyclopedia of Country Living, by Carla Emory, and answered my own question. She writes: "The broilers or cockerels are your young, tender birds. At 8-12 weeks of age, they'll weigh from 2 to 8 (or 12 or even 15) pounds, depending on the breed. They can be cooked as a 'broiler' , or a fryer. From 14 weeks to 6 months of age, and from 4 pounds and up, the bird will make a fine roaster. .... A bird 6-9 months old is a judgement call. Older than that they are stew birds for sure. Culled laying hens have lived long enough to get really tough, so they are your classic 'stew hens.' " She goes on to say: "You can tell relative age by feel. A young chicken has soft cartilage at the end of the breastbone, and pinfeathers. An older, stewing-type chicken has a rigid breastbone and long hairs on its skin. "

1 person likes this.
  8. Stewzoo

Stewzoo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    I have Belgian D'uccle roosters. I find them very docile and friendly. Also very curious so they are always coming up to me to see what I have. I have them out with my standard size hens and they do a good job at alerting them. They also don't bother the girls all that much and with the feathery feet....defeathering of the girls is almost none.

9. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Our Belgian d'Anver and OEGB roos are wonderful! We have a total of 9 pullets - 7 standard and 2 bantams. Both of my roosters are very sweet and friendly toward people. My daughter carries them around (and one will roost and take a nap on her - hilarious)! They are, however, very protective of their flock. They will alert us immediately to any danger/predators. -crowing for both began between 8 - 10 weeks of age. The little d'Anver roo crows quite loudly. -think he'd give a standard roo a run in volume! The OEGB has a much higher pitch and isn't quite as loud. The hens seem to fancy the d'Anver the best (and he's #1 in charge). We never intended on purchasing roos, but ended up with 2 of 4 from the straight run bantams which the kids selected. -love 'em both dearly and are thankful for them, now!

10. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    DELAWARE roosters ALL the way!
    If you want a giant teddy bear rooster, then you want a Delaware Rooster.
    They do crow... and loudly... ONLY con to these sweet hearts! However, that is a rooster :)

Rooster Breeds I have owned...

Marans,
    Leghorns,
    Speckled Sussex,
    Ameraucanas
    and Delawares.

NEVER have I had a nasty Delaware Rooster. Plus, they are very people friendly birds. These too don't have to go hand in hand. I have had some breeds where the rooster wasn't people aggressive, but he was a touch-me-not too. Delawares have no problems with you picking them up for a few minutes of loving...

My marans boys are good too. However, I have heard others complain about their marans being aggressive. So, this may be a breed that you have to watch whose line you get.

The leghorns are skittish.

The Ameraucanas are bada## little boys. They are OK with people, BUT don't get along with other males at all! Because they are a lighter bird, the males can be flighty. I had an ameraucana roo that started crap with every male I had on the property. He would pace the fence line and purposely instigate crap. If he got a chance, he would fly into someone else's pen to start crap. The ameraucana roosters weren't nasty with people....BUT Lord help you if there was another male bird any where nearby!

Speckled Sussex - - I've had some really nasty ones and some really timid ones. No sure bets in this breed : (

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by