1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters & their flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by enggass, Jan 16, 2017.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Do roosters 'spread the wealth' amongst their hens evenly, or do they have favorites that get more attention than others?

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    They seem to have there favorites.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They can definitely have favorites......
    ....and/or some birds have more brittle feathers so look like they may be 'over-mated'.

4. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Mostly asking because - can I assume all of the eggs I am getting are fertile if I know, have witnessed, my Rooster mating with one of the hens? It is one Rooster with 5 hens. I have checked the eggs and some are fertile I know, but not sure which hens are laying them because they are all Black Ameraucanas and look relatively the same. Is the only sure way to know is to consistently check the eggs for a period of time?

5. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    I'm going to guess if there's only 5 hens rheyre all fertile. I've hsd one rooster with 50 hens and the eggs were all fertile. If you really want to be sure for the next week whenever you use an egg that was recently laid, for something just check if it's fertile.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Are you planning to hatch? Soon? When ever I crack an egg, I have the habit of checking for fertility. As I approach my incubation date, I will have a good idea, and based on what I see, my roo who is entering his 3rd breeding season gets the job done well. He covered 24 girls last season with very good fertility. If you've seen him breeding your girls, and are getting fertile eggs in your frying pan, you can assume that you are good to go for a hatch.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^

Unless you are out there watching the entire time they are awake...you're not going to see most the matings.

8. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    They have favorites, but will still breed the others in his flock.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I would think they're all fertile. That's not very many hens, and one mating can fertilize eggs a good 2 weeks.

10. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Not a matter of fertilization. It's a matter of over breeding the hens. It's hard on them to have a rooster hopping on their backs all of the time. A rooster can cover probably up to 15 or 20 hens. But 7 to ten hens is enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by