roosters to chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by the girls club, Aug 15, 2013.

1. the girls club

the girls club Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    How many roosters to a family of hens should thier be?
    Will the older hens attack the new rooster?
    I have 6 golden buffs one being the mother to 3 new chicks. So thats a total of 9 chickens
    What would be a good measurement for all my chickens if I were to expand the coop?
    How many nest should thier be?
    OK if I add all the chickens together after the new chickens are all feathered out. I'm feeding layer feed to the ones that are in the hen house thats my 5 chickens.
    When all are together new chicks are in the hen house at 8 weeks of age or all feathered out. What should I feed them all?
    The new chickens won't have layed yet. I have read that if you feed layer feed you can hurt thier kidneys.
    So do I feed the older chickens chick feed? Will it hurt the older ones? They will be all together. I'm confused? help!

2. Animal lover342

Animal lover342 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    You can feed them the regular hen feed once they are all together. If you want to feed them the chick feed still after you put them together it won't hurt anything, but the chick feed does not have as much calcium in it as the hen feed does. But you could just add some oyster shell to the chick feed which you can probably buy at your local tractor supply or feed store.

3. Animal lover342

Animal lover342 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Sorry I forgot to answer the rooster question. A rooster can have up to anywhere between 6-10 hens with him. The older hens will probably pick on him to stablished a pecking order which is normal, but just to be safe watch them for a few days to make sure they are not causing any major problems.

4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Feed them starter grower and provide free choice oyster shell calcium for the laying hens.

When the hens molt and or the Roosters are with the hens you should not feed them layer. The Extra calcium in the layer is bad for the Roosters.

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    In that size flock you'll only want 1 rooster.

Once the chicks are grown and added to the flock you'll want to feed either grower feed or flock raiser too the entire flock. Just offer oyster shell free choice and the hens that need it will eat it. You can try to add the chicks back into the flock at anytime but it can turn nasty, I'd recommend waiting till the chicks are closer to the same size as the older hens.

A lot of people on this site go with the rule of allowing for 4sq ft per bird inside the coop and 10sq ft per bird in the chicken run, if you aren't free ranging. So you'd want something like a 6'x6' coop, but it's always better to go bigger than you need.

I saw and commented on your earlier post. Do you already have a rooster or are you thinking one of the chicks is a roo?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by