1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters & Toddlers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CrazyForCochins927, Nov 7, 2010.

1. CrazyForCochins927

CrazyForCochins927 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2010
    Green Bay, Wisconsin
    About 8 weeks ago we got 8 blue cochin chicks and it looks like one of them has turned out to be a rooster. I have a 1 year old right now and am concerned that the rooster will attack him come summer when we are going to start letting them roam. What has been everyone's experiences with roosters and small children? Does it matter on the breed? I try to get out there and pick him up a couple of times a day so he is used to humans.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Just as you would never leave a child unsupervised around a dog, do not leave your child unsupervised around the rooster. Hopefully the rooster will have a mellow personality. If he shows any sign of aggressiveness, don't take any chances. Get rid of him. You have your priorities set properly. Your kids must come first.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I don't ever allow small children around roosters, whether they have a friendly track record or not. My rooster was a great, friendly guy, could pick him up and carry him around, pet him etc. Until the day he turned into a rooster! Small children are just at the wrong height and it's easy for the rooster to get them right in the face and do serious damage, even put out an eye. It's just not worth the risk. Even if a rooster has always seemed ok you just never know what's going to get into the tiny chicken brain and they will attack at any real, fake or perceived threat to their hens.

4. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Roos beak and child's eyes are the same level. Just sayin.

5. CrazyForCochins927

CrazyForCochins927 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2010
    Green Bay, Wisconsin
    My husband and I were just planning on eating him in spring, but then I figured I would at least give him a chance. The mama bear in me has absolutely no problem having him for dinner if he were to harm or go after my child in the least. [​IMG]

6. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    definitely depends on the rooster. i agree--do not leave a toddler unsupervised with the rooster. but after raising three i know not to ever have them be unsupervised anyway! [​IMG]

i feel absolutely safe with my 2.5 yr old and my awesome roo NOW after watching them together for the past year, but i have no idea what the roo would do if my son tried to ride him or pick up the roo, so no unsupervised time even for them.

7. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

There's no way I would allow a 1 year old to be with a rooster, even supervised. If something did happen, you wouldn't be able to act fast enough to prevent an injury.

Ed

8. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    When I was little, we had a white cochin rooster named Joshua. He was our nicest and friendlies chicken. Of course, I didn't try to pick him up either. [​IMG] Or you could use the technique my in laws used to keep their evil cat from attacking their toddler. They gave the toddler a plastic shovel! I think I would've just gotten rid of the cat!

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    A rooster's brain is too small to differentiate between a small human, running around making noise and a predator, running around making noise. The roo will do what he thinks he needs to do to protect his flock.
    I have a very mellow rooster. He's not allowed anywhere near our 4 y.o. grandson. It only takes one time for a child to lose an eye.

If it weren't possible for us to keep the rooster outside the fence and the GS within it, the roo would be locked up while the GS visits.

10. AllAlaskan

AllAlaskan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Alaska, MatSu
    My 4 year old son cant go into the pen because the BR Rooster has been getting aggresive (me and him had quite a show down a few weeks ago) and my son was in there with me one day and he went strait for my son. I had an old broom stick in my hand ( I use it to push up the wiremesh by the top of the door so the door to the camper/coop will open all the way, not to beat the animals) and as my son was walking out the rooster went right for him so a smacked him (not hard just enuph to get his attaintion) and he stopped and ran back in. Because of this my son isnt allowed to go in without me. He doesnt like that lol, but I dont want him getting attacked by the Rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by