1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roosters together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wildorchid053, May 12, 2009.

1. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i have as a gift from grandaughter 8 chicks.. they are now 3 weeks old and we need to start building a coop. i just found out what straight run means .. lol... if i have more than one rooster can they be kept together or do they fight to the death like you see on tv? they are all so tame and cute right now the thought of giving one away isn't an option. any info would help .. thank you.. wild in ny

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    If they are raised together as chicks, there is a much less chance that they will fight to the death. Needless to say that WILL fight, but only pluck a few feathers and a few cuts on the combs/wattles. Mine did this, but once I narrowed my 7 down to 2, things are definitely at peace.

3. big red chicken

big red chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    I hatch my eggs on Feb. 1 that was 6 chicks then a week later 3 more hatched. So I have that problem right now. I have 3 rooster, they getting along right now even though one is more dominate (? spelling) than the other two. As a matter of fact one of my rooster just started crowing that was one of the last one's to hatch. For the most part they get along fine. As long as they are all raised together.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Whether roos will fight depends much on the individual rooster's personality. When I had two roos (raised together) there was rarely rarely any scuffles because one was very dominant and the other very passive.
    I wouldn't worry so much about the boys fighting as I would having too many roos for too few girls. The girls will get overmated. That will just stress the girls out to no end.

5. colewilson

colewilson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    i have 8 roosters and they all get along fine unless there getting a new roo in the pecking order or another rooster is mating with the hens. other than that they get along fine. but i have about 50 hens and they are standard and my roos are bantams.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by