Rooster's top beak broken near tip

swordgeek

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 23, 2010
Westford, MA
Hey there! A few days ago, I noticed that the top of my rooster's beak is broken near the tip. I imagine he pecked something hard - maybe one of the huge rocks in the run? I never saw any blood there, and only noticed when he was pecking some corn in my hand that if felt sharper than usual. (He's a Polish... I don't often see his face.) He's eating and drinking fine, and otherwise unharmed.

Do these things grow back, or will he always have this problem? Do I need to worry about infection? As I said, he's normal other than this!

Hello swordgeek. I believe if it is just the tip that is broken this will do no harm, as chicken's beaks can be trimmed with clippers if need be. Did it bleed when it broke, or is the rest of the beak cracked in any way? Perhaps a picture would help others on here who have more knowledge than I. Good luck with this.
Oops - I just noticed you said you saw no blood - sorry!

Last edited:
I didn't see any blood, and he didn't see at all bothered by it. I'm not sure how many days it's been broken. I noticed it last week, then went away till last night. The rest of the beak seems fine - it's only near the tip - but I do think I see the quick in there. (Coincidentally, I was visiting a friend's vacation home, where a wild duck on the pond has had a broken beak all summer, which reminded me of my Prince. We call the duck "Bill".
smile.png
Bill's beak is broken much further back than my roo's - you can see his TONGUE! - and he's been swimming around and fishing all summer and still looks fine.)

I'll see if I can get a picture of Prince's face tomorrow and post it. It's raining pretty hard today, so all the birds are staying in, and I'm sure he is NOT in the mood to be handled right now. They all get a bit cranky in this weather. But if it's going to grow back, I think we're in good shape. Thanks!

Wow. I never knew they grew back.
idunno.gif
I learn something new every day!

Last edited:
Their beaks are just like nails, essentially a nail on their face. As long as bone and quick/nail bed are there, it will return. They have to grow out to maintain a beak from all the pecking and scratching. Their growth is why many caged birds or birds not let out can get over grown beaks and nails that need to be manually trimmed.

Back
Top Bottom