Roosters Turning Yellow

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SarahFair, May 18, 2010.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I had 2 SLW roosters. The head rooster turned yellow shortly after I got him (he was not head rooster where he came from).
    Well I butchered him cause he was flat out ugly, had a horrible comb, and I didnt want to make babies from him..

My second SLW rooster always stayed SUPER white, very pretty. Now he has turned yellow too!
    What is the deal?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sarah, my roo's white parts are yellow too. I read a long time ago that it's called bronzing and it comes from sun exposure. On the very rare occasions that I give Thor a bath or he stands out in the rain for a very long time, it goes away.

3. hipeatall

hipeatall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    My white Faverolles rooster has recently started yellowing on his back. From what I've read... direct sunlight, diet (specifically corn) and genetics can cause yellowing of feathers. I just recently changed his diet (I am no longer feeding him scratch) and I am planning to put a shade cloth over his yard area... I'm also gonna give him a bath in one of those whitening shampoos to see if it'll help... he's actually pretty dirty [​IMG] - so that may help quite a bit. I have a feeling that I may not see any real changes until he molts though.

4. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Hmm I guess the days have started getting longer here..
    I dont feed them any corn, unless it is in their feed, and really I only give that sparingly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by