Roosters? (updated with pics on pg. 2)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MomofPeeps11, Aug 12, 2011.

1. MomofPeeps11

MomofPeeps11 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    Plymouth, MA
    Hi everyone.. hoping you can please help out a newbie and shed some light on my situation!

I'm new to raising chickens and back in the beginning of June a friend of mine gave me 2 baby chicks... I believe they are Plymouth Barred Rocks. Well now 2 months later... this past week one of them have been 'crowing', or maybe trying to crow every morning between 6-7am. Seems to be quiet the rest of the day but yet I'm at work. Is quiet at sundown. I can't tell which one is crowing!

So they both look exactly the same.. what are the odds they BOTH are roosters??? They both have quite large top combs and bottom combs... tried looking at their legs and it may look like a tiny spur maybe starting to grow on each one... My mother-in-law has the same chickens but her "girls" combs aren't as big as mine and mine are younger than hers... so this is making me think.

I've become quite attached but my neighbors have not been happy and I only have 2 chickens/roosters right now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    Michelle

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

hard to tell without photos... but, it sounds like you may have 2 roos. what if you traded a hen for a roo with your MIL?

Have you checked your zoning to make sure there is no restriction on roosters? The last thing you want to do is upset your neighbors, they have a way of making it difficult for many people to keep chickens.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  3. MomofPeeps11

Aug 12, 2011
    Plymouth, MA
    My thoughts exactly... I don't want to upset my neighbors... I am not aware of any zoning in my town either... I'll try to upload pics if I can figure out how...

4. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    If they both look the same and one is crowing then the other one is prob a roo too but pictures would help.

5. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    PICS! But I agree with the opinions that so far it sounds like you have two boys.

6. MomofPeeps11

Aug 12, 2011
    Plymouth, MA
    How do I upload pics??? Help!

7. turbodog

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:Go to "uploads" near the top of the page. You can upload a pic from your computer. Check the "resize" box. You can post a full size pic or a thumbnail.

8. MomofPeeps11

Aug 12, 2011
    Plymouth, MA
    THank you!

9. turbodog

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    You're welcome! And welcome to BYC!

10. MomofPeeps11

Aug 12, 2011
    Plymouth, MA
    I can't post pics while at work [​IMG] so I'll post some as soon as I get home... looking forward to what you guys have to say.... thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by