Roosters vanished... guineas or wild predator?

JesnJer

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 7, 2012
Missouri
A couple weeks ago I lost my first rooster. I found him dead outside the coop... no blood but all of the feathers had been plucked from his chest and there were bruises the size and shape of beaks. Then tonight since I closed the coop up early I did a head count... all hens accounted for but no roosters. Last night it was dark when I closed up shop so I couldn't see to notice if they were missing. This morning the coop was locked when I let my dogs outside and it looks like my lab let the chickens out... he can nudge the door and get it open since I need to fix the lock. None of my dogs harm the chickens anymore, one of them did last year but she protects them now. I know I've seen the guineas chase the roosters but I'm confused because the rooster that I found a few weeks ago was from the same group as the guineas and the two recent ones were around before the guineas.

I probably should note that I've also lost two guineas in the last couple months as well... they just vanished too.

Has anyone lost roosters to their guineas? Does this sound like a wild predator instead? We are going out to cut firewood tomorrow so we will be able to get a little further away to look for the bodies of the missing roosters.

Either way they were beautiful Back Copper Marans :( Looks like next spring we will be getting more birds... I've heard that now one of the hens will become a henster and I'm not really looking forward to that part... sigh

Just read the other post where you guys are saying fox... I haven't seen any foxes around our area and our roosters have taken on a possum that later met our 22. We killed the one coon that WAS coming around. My dogs were also outside all day today so if it was a predator it would have happened yesterday during the day

Yea somethin with a small beak like a guinea. I've got a guinea that pecks at me EVERY night when I go get eggs. I wasnt around much when they were keets so they are little snots... but a few do sleep in the trees around the coop every night now standing guard.

I could never keep my guineas together with the chickens, each time I tried to keep them together, the guineas would corner and attack a hen mercilessly. Yet the guineas completely ignored my mallard ducks. I ended up selling the guineas and now have peace in the flock. Sorry for your losses.

the guienas did it they are so bad on roosters you have to protect them

I never understood why cant a rooster defend himself from them? the guineas dont have spurs!!! but they still really torture roosters

Game roosters can stop them, like a oriental game will teach them manners

Back
Top Bottom