Roosters vs Hawk Yesterday

woodmort

RIP 1938-2020
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
I'm not usually bother by hawks except as they migrate through this time of year. Yesterday my wife came running to tell me there was a hawk after our chickens--they were free ranging all over about 2 acres. I ran out in time to get a glimpse of either a goshawk or cooper taking off through the woods. But there wasn't s chickens in sight--none dead or injured either--except for my 2 big Amerauana and small blue Andalusian roosters. They were raising a ruckus while running back and forth in the yard by the pop door.

Pretty soon hens appeared from under our house deck, under the coop addition, and from hiding places in the blueberry patch--some had just hunkered down next to the chicken fence. One or two at a time, they came running like mad toward where the roosters were and went into the coop. In the time it took me to inspect the area the "boys" had called and herded every hen into the coop. They stayed there for about half an hour then gradually came out with the rooster keeping an eye on them.

Birds were out for the rest of the day--until it started to sleet--but hawk didn't come back. I'm hoping it's moved on but, if not, at least is discouraged.

My rooster will do that, one of the main reason have one in my flock, a couple years ago I had this huge easter egger rooster who protected very well, sadly the hawk got him and he passed away, leaving the other rooster in charge of the 7 hens.

I have had hawks in the past kill birds. Currently I see either a Red Tail or Red Shouldered hawk most every day on the same branch in a persimmon tree. Maybe it's after field mice or rats, maybe squirrels. We have Fox Squirrels which don't do any harm but we also have Gray Squirrels that do. I don't mind if the hawks take a Gray squirrel. I've been leaving the birds in their pens where they are safe.

is there a way to keep hawks away there always trying to get the hens
Only if you either keep them inside or in a small enough yard to completely cover it with netting. Otherwise,it sometimes works to keep a couple of good roosters, encourage crows or blue jays which will harass them and/or use scarecrows. Under no circumstances can you harm them.

Only if you either keep them inside or in a small enough yard to completely cover it with netting. Otherwise,it sometimes works to keep a couple of good roosters, encourage crows or blue jays which will harass them and/or use scarecrows. Under no circumstances can you harm them.
I agree. We have befriended a small flock of crows. Even if the crows are not successful in chasing off a hawk, their loud warning calls are quite helpful.

That pattern is exactly what I've witnessed on many occasions. Every time a hawk tries to test them. I haven't had a hawk loss since I've kept at least one rooster with each flock.

In the absence of the ability to keep roosters, opt for the more skittish, wary breeds like Anconas, Leghorns, Minorcas, Penedesencas, Catalanas, Jaerhons, Black Spanish, Hamburgs, Lakenvelders. Those are the breeds people call flighty. Most people on BYC are always looking for the friendliest, calmest and most docile breeds. Those are the very breeds that become hawk bites because they have had that wariness bred out of them.

Back
Top Bottom