Roosters vs Hens/vs roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by madelynbelle, May 15, 2009.

1. madelynbelle

madelynbelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    PUGET SOUND
    I am hoping to have 12-14 hens in a coop and would like to integrate 2-3 roosters for maximum fertility of eggs. Can you have 2-3 roosters in the same run together with your hens or would I need to have different coops for each rooster with hens. Also is it better to have roosters that are from the same hatch so they get along better?

2. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Hey Madelynbelle,

I have 2 roosters with my girls right now. I have about 26 or so hens. My roosters were raised together as chicks so the fighting between them is very minimal. It does happen everynow and then when the lower ranked one feels tough. So I would definitely raise them together from chicks on. The only problem I would say you might have is them having favorites. Mine go after some poor chickens constantly and others barely at all. I hate that their "favorites" have barebacks from all the mating. I would say one rooster would be plenty for 12 or so hens. Hope this helps.

3. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    If the roos grew up together, it will help... this way they can establish their pecking order early on. You can keep them together as long as they are not constantly fighting- although they will probably get into it from time to time. I'd say that for 12-14 hens, you could have 2 roosters. One will be the alpha and the other will be his subordinate. A lot of people have more than one roo when they have a large number of hens. Good luck! [​IMG]

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    A good ratio is 1:10-12. 2 roosters may still be too many for just 12-14 hens. I think that the fewer hens they have to share, the more likely the roos will fight. If you really want 2 roos, then I'd make 2 pens and put 6-7 hens in each.

I think roos are more likely to fight if they think they have an advantage over the other. When they are fairly equally matched, they may have some stand-offs, but it may not lead to an actual fight. But if they sense the other is growing older or weaker, they will fight to re-establish seniority.

I don't think it makes much difference if they were raised together, except that they already understand each other's strengths and don't have to fight to figure that out. But I have 2 bantam roos who are brothers & nest-mates. Usually they get along just fine, but every so often they'll beat the giblets out of each other, then go back to being pals.
    [​IMG]

5. undermywings

undermywings chicken chaser

Mar 29, 2009
    California high desert
    What breeds are they?

6. madelynbelle

madelynbelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    PUGET SOUND
    Black Copper Marans and Ameracaunas- two separate coops of course

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I would at least try to mix them before they hit breeding age. If you plan to keep hatching new generations having unrelated blood in there would be a good thing and so long as you mix the roos when they are young it's no different than hatching them together. How young depends on the breed. Some you could even just throw adults together and they'd be fine. Some will act agressive at a few weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by