Roosters vs mamma hens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kemical Fenix, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Kemical Fenix

Kemical Fenix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Hello, I have 2 silkies who decided to start brooding at the same time(about 15 days ago), each has about 5 eggs(should have marked them cause I know at least 1 other hen likes to drop her eggs off for the silkies to sit on). After doing some reading the general consensus is just leave the momma & chicks in with the rest of the flock, the only problem is I have a lopsided flock, 8 roosters & 5 hens(I know I know). They are all bantams and the coop is big enough to accommodate the newbies, but I'm wondering if having that many roosters around the babies will be a problem, and should I then separate them? Wanted to see if anyone has had an experience like that, or just get any opinions. Thanks.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I've never had any issues with cock birds around chicks, but I would imagine that others members may have different experiences.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some roosters are good and some aren't. I generally keep my chicks and mom penned in the coop for a week or two after hatch to give the chicks time to build strength and to be able to keep up with their mom's before I start to let them mingle, by then most chicks can get away.

4. chameleon

chameleon Chillin' With My Peeps

I've only had one roo and he's always been fine with new chicks, much nicer than my hen in fact. But every bird is different.

Personally I would keep them together but keep an eye on them, to avoid possible integration problems later. I would only seperate them if I notice any problems. But many people prefer to seperate them too and that's fine. You know your circumstances better than anyone else, so do what you feel comfortable with.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I brood my Hens and Chicks in my garage till the Chicks are 5 weeks old and feathered....I then put them back into the Flock...All my other Hens love the Chicks and My Rooster tidbits for them.....Not sure about having so many Roosters though?.....I would separate Momma and Chicks so she is not having to worry about protecting all day long.....

Best of luck....

Cheers!...:)

6. Kemical Fenix

Kemical Fenix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Thanks for advice, yeah it's a tough call, I'm pretty new to chickens and this will be my 1st time having chicks with adult hens/roosters. I would think the roosters would be fine with them but then again it only takes one wrong step or jump for one to crush a little chick. I think I'll probably put them in our brooder for a week or 2 with the momma hens. Will be interesting to see what the chicks turn out to be, as there's several possible combinations. Mom = Silkie (blue, black or white), bantam Brahma(dark or buff), and Dad = Silkie(white or buff), Sultan, dark Brahma, or black rose combs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by