1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters weird neck dance?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gitlost80, Jan 5, 2011.

1. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    Hi all. I have a standard Cochin Roo that does this weird neck movement all the time. Hes not shaking his head, more like moving his head and neck in a figure 8 movement, quickly. He is 9 months old and has done it since he was full grown. He is healthy and never been sick. What the h*ll is he doing?

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I am just guessing scince I have only had chickens scince July. Have 3 roo's. But maybe trying to tell you he is boss. Does he so like a dance sideways at you too? Hope this helps

3. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    No its not that because he does it all day long, even when no ones around. It looks like hes having a touret syndrome moment. He will attack anyone who comes in the yard, except me. Quite flatering.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Has he been injured (hard pecked??) or something. Sounds like some kind of brain injury or disorder. Does he have periods where he can control his head movement?

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I am so sorry but I do not know the answer. Hopefully someone with more experience will respond. Does he seem to be in any pain? Wish I could help. [​IMG]

6. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    My rooster, Rudy had this weird neck movement thing, too. He didn't do it all the time though, just sometimes. I never saw any reason for it, but I did wonder if maybe he did that to work something he ate down his throat? Never saw my hens doing it, just Rudy. I didn't worry about it because he never went on to exhibit any other behavior to make me worry. I did send Rudy to freezer camp, because he was just too rough on some of my Buff O girls, so I don't know if it would have later developed into some issue. I would just watch him for any other weird behavior, such as a muscle or nerve disorder, etc. that affected his mobility and ability to function. If he doesn't then I would not worry about it. For all I know it may be some sort of 'display' movement or he has something sticking in his throat. [​IMG]

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Provide video.

8. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    He is happy and content as can be. Good boy, does his job around the yard and doesnt seem to be bothered by it. We love him, regardless of his "Rooster Touret Syndrome". Its not a constant thing, he does it like every 5-15 minutes.
    [​IMG] I will try to get it on film tomorrow.....

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by