Roosters which live next to each other, hiearchy stories. Please inform me.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GhettoRoo, Feb 4, 2015.

1. GhettoRoo

GhettoRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Hello. So, as Im always very interesting how did each breed roosters get well with others and breed vs breed, and who's the alpha at the end, I would like if you inform me, there, or in private mesage. :)
    Thanks.

2. sagealbright

sagealbright Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    I had an easter Egger, a white Silkie, and a Cochin frizzle up until a week ago (we didn't know the frizzle was a roo until then). When we had all three together things were terrible. My easter Egger roo was terrorizing my silkie Roo and attacking me so we ended up giving him to a farm that was looking for a rooster and now he's very happy to be alone with only girls.

Since giving the EE away the dynamic has changed completely. My little Silkie roo is definitely in charge and my frizzle roo is very laid back. They get along great together which surprises me since my frizzle is about 4 times the size of my Silkie. Both of them crow in unison and sleep next to each other at night.

From what our breeder told us all the easter egger roos he has bred tend to not get along well with other roosters.

3. GhettoRoo

GhettoRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Thanks for ur sharing. @sagealbright
    I guess the mental distance was big between EE and other roos.
    The same before my Vorwerk havent confidence, breed basically is tolerant, and my alpha 'mix roo' (with RIR bloods) always terorize when it was next. Today Vorwerk almost dont give a *uck, and oldie doesnt feel as comfortable and bossy anymore. Both keep distance. But the alpha is the only one who's gonna run into cock if he's going to mate some hen..
    P.S, as i had heard EE and RIR are feeling alpha in bloods, but that tolerance need to be worked on.
    P.S.S, I have one pretty similar 7 months old roo with EE bloods, gonna see how its gonna play out in time. Now he's under 10months old Vorwerk,and that he havent mature to own his girls and feel a owner yet. but Vorwerk very often peck to him, allow to range and be next.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by