Roosters with a foot (shoe) fetish

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MikeyLikesIt, Jan 17, 2011.

1. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    I have two roosters. They have never shown aggression... untill I wore a pair of unfamiliar (to them) shoes. I wore a pair of 'unfamiliar' shoes a week or so ago when feeding my chickens and noticed them acting strangley...pecking at my shoes and bowing up...not the typical 'is this something to eat' peck, but more like, 'you're pi$$ing me off' peck.

Yesterday, my wife and I were planting some fruit trees, and since it was misting rain, we wore our rubber boots and the roosters went nuts. We could tell that their attention was on the boots and they were really aggitated. We had to kick and chase them several times because they became so aggresive. Today, I wore my 'familiar' shoes....back to their sweet selves again. [​IMG]

Anyone else have this experience?

Mikey

2. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Yes! I have a polish crested roo, so he doesn't see too well except for right in front of his face. I wear boots in the winter, as we get a lot of rain. If I wear different shoes due to weather changes and he doesn't recognize them, he will do his little "scratch dance" as if trying to scare me off.

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

oh, yeah. I usually wear my "Bogs" (waterproof shoes, great for chicken / yard work!) and they totally ignore them. If I wear other shoes, they may check them out, but usually after a cursory glance, will go their own way. If I wear white tennis / running shoes out there, several of my little roos go absolutely bonkers! I get hit mid-calf by one little frizzle, one of the other little cochins runs in a big circle all the way around me, but no closer than about 10', and a couple of the other young cockerels run screaming for the nearest sheltered spot like the white shoes are actually the feet of the Yeti, and they're about to be eaten... [​IMG] The hens, for the most part, ignore any footwear changes unless it happens to be to sandals. Then, the toes are the most fascinating thing in the run and MUST be investigated, especially if the nails on said toes happen to be adorned with polish...

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yup. Carl hates my red Crocs. He gets really fixated on them, too. If I catch him staring at them, frozen in place (when I happen to stop what I'm doing), I can thunk him lightly on the side of his head, saying, "Carl! NO!" and he will look up at me with surprise. It's like he zoned out, and I brought him back to his senses. He HATES those shoes.

He's also not very fond of my long skirt with a red hem. Sometimes I wear my red Crocs with that skirt, sometimes not. (The rest of it is black and purple.) So I know it's not just the red Crocs. He doesn't like that skirt's red hem swirling around.

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    ALL of my chooks don't recognise me when I were sunglasses (essential in Australia! [​IMG] )or any shoes apart from a pair of old slippers. Oh, the day when they get chucked...[​IMG]

6. MikeyLikesIt

Oct 27, 2010
    Quote:LOL. Hence the expresion "bird brain".
    Every day day they find some new way to entertain me. [​IMG]

Mikey

7. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    My Naked Neck rooster, Col. Sanders, Hates my shoes he always does his little dance. The best thing is when I wear my ostrich quilled boots into the coop, they all go crazy and start pecking like crazy at them. It is really funny![​IMG]

8. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] Chickens are so funny. [​IMG] Gotta love them though.

9. Luvroos

Luvroos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    Lol, mine not only do this with my shoes and my caps also as well as certain clothes! They are so picky when it comes to their owners lol. I had heard and read that the same clothes, shoes and all should be worn around our flocks at all times since they remember things so well.

10. MikeyLikesIt

Oct 27, 2010
    Chickens are soooo dumb. You just gotta love'um! Better than watching TV!
    I got home from work today and sat with my chickens, smoked a cigar and enjoyed an adult beverage... the roosters were as sweet as ever (I wore my 'familiar' shoes). I think I'll wear my rubber boots tomorrow just for the entertainment. [​IMG]

Mikey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by