1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters with black spot on comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MapleFrontFarms, Feb 8, 2014.

1. MapleFrontFarms

MapleFrontFarms Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I have three roosters, one australorp, one buckeye and one campine mix. They will be a year old in the spring. They were brought to me about a week ago. I have no other birds. But these three all have black patches on their combs. I'm not sure if it is pox, or if it is frost bite? I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and temperatures here hover around -15 degrees Celsius. They are in a protected coop here, but I don't know what their coop was like where they came from. They all behave regularly and are very sweet boys, they don't have any other issues.

If it is pox it will simply pass, if it is frost bite it should heal, correct?

Here is a picture
    [​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    looks like very mild frost bite to me but i dont know what pox is. all my roos have this now. very harsh winter here. it will heal on its own. nothing to do after it happens, just prevention before hand.

3. Sagetown

Sagetown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2014
    S E Oklahoma
    Yep; that was my thought as soon as I saw it. Frostbite.

4. hmoran

hmoran Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2013
    yep, frost bite, most likely

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by