Roosters, Wyandottes and Brooding

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HottLemonade2886, Apr 5, 2011.

1. HottLemonade2886

HottLemonade2886 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    Hinesville, GA
    Hello all! I am starting to look into getting my first chickens that will be just for egg laying/pet purposes and really like the Wyandotte breed/type of chicken. I have read that they tend to go broody and I really don't want a breed that does this since I don't plan on hatching any of my own eggs and don't want my hens to stop laying because they want to be mommies. Haha! I am wondering if a lack of a rooster or anything like that would cause a chicken to be less broody. I mean without a rooster there won't be any chance of chicks but I don't know if the chickens can tell this. Also, if there is nothing I can do to prevent this are there any other breeds that are great layers, docile, cold hardy and as pretty as the Wyandottes?

2. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I had lots of broodies over the years when I didn't have a rooster. If a hen wants to set, having a rooster doesn't seem to matter.

3. HottLemonade2886

HottLemonade2886 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    Hinesville, GA
    Oh goodness. I think I should look into some other breeds. They are good layers but some lay better so I think I'll kee looking. Might go with the sex-linked breeds I was orginally looking at so I know I will have all hens too. Thanks!

4. AussieAcres

AussieAcres Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    If I remember right the Columbian Wyandotte's are less broody than the laced. Golden sex linked, and Barred Rocks are not broody, very cold hardy, and great layers.

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    If you are getting the chicks from a hatchery they will be less likely to go broody. No guarantees but less likely. I have 2 SLW and one GLW from a hatchery and none of them have gone broody.

6. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:I agree with this because this is what I was going to say [​IMG]

7. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I've had two hatchery silver-laced and one gold-laced wyandotte and none of them ever went broody. But now I have 6 hatchery blue wyandottes that will be a year old at the end of this month, and 3 of them are currently broody, darn girls. I want their eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by