1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters, zoning, etc.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Must Be Losing It, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I had to call the board of health today just to cover my backside and make sure I have no issues w/ regard to having chickens. Apparently I was supposed to do this when I hatched my guineas, but what can I say.

Anyway, the gal on the phone had a horrible opinion of chickens (lived next to a few) and told me that roosters are a no no.

Now I realize they can be noisy but are they that bad? I believe based on our conversation it was a personal opinion, and since I'm zoned Agriculture I have no problems, but if its true, what happens to all the roosters when people hatch their eggs and wind up w/ a few boys too many?

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    The chicks I have now are my first chicks at this house but when I was growing up all the excess Roos that hatched out went into the freezer.

3. paisleycj

paisleycj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Minnesota
    all my roos go for meat too. Either I freze them or pressure cook and can them. Good stuff. The original "fast food" as far as I'm concerned.

4. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    So I guess I shouldn't name the roosters!? Unless its something like Piccata or Marsala!

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    You still can name them breakfast, lunch, dinner, Colonel....

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I HAVE EATEN A COUPLE OF CHICKENS. I NAME MY ROOS AND NOT THE HENS BUT THAT DOESN'T EXEMPT THEM FROM THE FREEZER. I AM GOING TO START HATCHING SOON AND I PLAN ON EATING ALL THE EXTRA ROOS.

BY THE WAY, ROOS AREN'T THAT BAD IN MY OPINION. I HAVE TWO AND EVEN WHEN THEY HAVE CROWING WARS, I CAN'T HEAR THEM WHEN I'M IN MY HOUSE USUALLY AND THEY HAVE NEVER ONCE WOKEN ME OR MY WIFE UP. MY NEIGHBORS MIGHT BE ABLE TO HEAR THEM, BUT I AM ZONED AGRICULTURE AS WELL AND AM NOT TOO CONCERNED. I MOVED OUT HERE TO DO AS I PLEASE, NOT AS THEY PLEASE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by