Roosters

Chicken Egg 17

Songster
Dec 11, 2015
McVeytown PA
I know this is a rooster but what breed is he I don't even know how old he is he showed up at my house last year in November

This is Fred my rooster can anyone tell me what breed he is one of the baby chickens I hatched mixed with him lays green eggs all replies are welcome thanks

Fred is an Easter Egger rooster. EEs are mixed breeds that carry a blue egg gene and a brown egg gene. When EEs roosters are mated with brown egg laying hens and pass their blue egg genes to the offspring, the offspring will lay green eggs.

He is more of a bantam I think because he is a little bit smaller then the hens and are u sure cause he don't really look like an Easter egger rooster thanks:)

A tuft of feathers on the top of the head. Some breeds like silkies and Polish have large crests (my daughter calls them poofy heads). Mixes of crested breeds can also have crests to varying degrees, even just a few tufts.

He is more of a bantam I think because he is a little bit smaller then the hens and are u sure cause he don't really look like an Easter egger rooster thanks:)

You're welcome. If one of his chicks is laying green eggs, he's definitely an Easter Egger unless you happen to have a hen that lays blue or green eggs in your flock. If that is the case, the green egg laying offspring could have received the blue gene from her. Easter Eggers do come in bantam sizes as well as standard sizes and if your rooster had a Legbar parent that would account both for the crest and his being an Easter Egger.

You're welcome. If one of his chicks is laying green eggs, he's definitely an Easter Egger unless you happen to have a hen that lays blue or green eggs in your flock. If that is the case, the green egg laying offspring could have received the blue gene from her. Easter Eggers do come in bantam sizes as well as standard sizes and if your rooster had a Legbar parent that would account both for the crest and his being an Easter Egger.

No the mom was a rhode island red

Back
Top Bottom