Roosters??

chickmama22

In the Brooder
May 7, 2016
King, NC
Hello all!

We are new chicken owners. We have 6 bantams, that is all I know about them! I'm pretty sure 4 of them are roosters. They are 10 weeks old. Anyone have an idea if I'm right? And what's it like having the majority being roosters?

Welcome to BYC!
Where did you get your birds from (hatchery, store, private person)? I ask because the coloration of your birds is that of red sex link pullets - which would be most certain if they were hatchery/store birds, and possible if private person depending on how knowledgeable they were regarding breeding/what breeds they had in their flock.
None of the birds are showing blatant cockerel characteristics in this photo, but it is not the best photo for gender evaluation. It is best to get side profile photos that show each bird completely.
Which four birds are you thinking are cockerels? At the very least, clear photos of each of those four would be helpful. What about those four makes you believe they are cockerels?

They look to be Red Sex links to me, as well. And with their coloring, they look to be all pullets to me, if they are indeed Sex Links. The males are more white with a tinge of red to them.
:welcome :frow

:welcome
The rooster to hen ratio is 1 per 10. You'll probably want to keep the roosters seperate or your 2 girls will be over mated. I'm by no means a pro but they look to be pullets.

Hi there! I got these at tractor supply. The reason I'm thinking 4 are roosters is because their tails are more "fancy". They Carry their tails higher than the other 2, whose tails are more pointed down. Hope that makes sense! At this time, we aren't looking to be hatching any eggs, so I want to get control of the situation if I need to lol

Hi there! I got these at tractor supply. The reason I'm thinking 4 are roosters is because their tails are more "fancy". They Carry their tails higher than the other 2, whose tails are more pointed down. Hope that makes sense! At this time, we aren't looking to be hatching any eggs, so I want to get control of the situation if I need to lol

Coming from TSC those are all red sex links and that means that they are all female.

Coming from TSC those are all red sex links and that means that they are all female. 
X2

Back
Top Bottom