Roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jen34chickies, Jun 22, 2016.

1. jen34chickies

jen34chickies Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016
    Western Massachusetts
    At what age can I tell a rooster from a hen? Also is anyone in Massachusetts looking for a rooster? Once I sex my chickens I will have to rehome my roosters.

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    It depends on the breed and individual chicken, but for most five weeks is the minimum age to be able to tell gender unless they are sex link. What breed do you have and how old are they? Post pictures in the What Breed or Gender is this? forum with the age and breed of your chickens if they are five weeks or more. Lots of people there should be able to help you!

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Good luck on the rehoming, this time of year everyone has extra roosters. I do not even try, I simply turn them into soup...or hot dishes....or grill them.... or pot pies..

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    All of mine are rehomed to the freezer. It's impossible to sell them around here and I'm certainly not giving them away for someone else to eat.

Depending on the breed you should be able to sex them at 4-6 weeks. If they are silkies, they take forever.

5. shorechickies

shorechickies Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2016
    Ohio

[​IMG][​IMG] same

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat!^^^

Yes, by 4-6 weeks the comb and wattles should be bigger and redder on males than the females.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by