1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jcbil, Jul 2, 2016.

1. jcbil

jcbil New Egg

Jul 2, 2016
    Hi all,
    I've been lurking on these forums since getting my three chicks back in April (They are 4 months now) and have gotten some great information. This morning, I heard one of my chicks start to crow. I feel confident we have one rooster, but now I'm worried about the next largest one- the Buff Orpington. I'm posting a few pictures-The smallest one there is about two weeks younger than the other two and is much smaller. I hope this one is a hen. Not sure about the buff, Has had a comb & wattle for a few weeks now, but it's not growing as quickly or is as bright & red as the australorp's. Any thoughts? Thank you!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Turtle Rock Poultry Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Welcome to BYC! I can't see the hackle or the saddle very well on the buff, might it be possible to get better pictures?

3. BabyandCotton

BabyandCotton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    The Australorp in the last pic looks like he's your boy
    -Liv

4. jcbil

jcbil New Egg

Jul 2, 2016
    [​IMG]
    This picture is a couple weeks older, Does this help? If not I'll have to try to get some better ones.

5. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Turtle Rock Poultry Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    It helps very much. I'd be shocked if this was not a roo.... :( See those shiny feathers? That's a roo thing. -Banti

6. Good Egg MN

Good Egg MN New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    I'm sorry to hear about your Roos! I'm culling my flock now too. Of the 8 new birds we got 3 roosters. It's so hard to tell until maturity. And the variations between breeds only makes it more complicated.

I'd agree looks like you've got 2 Roos. Better do something with them before the fight that's no fun at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by