Roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by sunnyjranch, Feb 5, 2017.

1. sunnyjranch

sunnyjranch Just Hatched

Feb 5, 2017
    Elk Washington
    Are there any hatcheries in Washington that give away there day old rooster chicks. I'm looking to try starting raising roosters for extra income, and am starting on a low budget. Any information on obtaining roosters anywhere would help. Thanks

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hey sunnyjranch

Obviously, living in Aus, I can not help with Washington Hatcheries.

I am, however, interested to know how raising roosters will give you extra income? That is a genuine question and asked only because, in my experience, there are a glut of unwanted roosters out there and people giving them away. I wonder how money could be made raising them?

We are not allowed roosters here so just my curiosity asking.

3. sunnyjranch

sunnyjranch Just Hatched

Feb 5, 2017
    Elk Washington
    I sell a lot of chickens, usually the ones your talking about. But I need more roosters to sell. So I'm trying to obtain a large number. I heard hatcheries dispose of roosters, and might give some free. I'm on a low budget, lost my job. Thanks

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

I am sorry to hear that you lost your job [​IMG]

That is interesting .. I would not think that there would be much profit between raising and feeding the roosters and their end sale price but, as I said, I have no experience with roosters and was just curious.

Best wishes, I hope it works out for you.

5. Go to your state thread and ask there. I'm in Tn. I hatch and we sell ours at the caged animal sale . I don't know what your local market is like . Here a big rooster will fetch a fair price . But it's a break even deal at best unless you have a free or very low cost feed source it's hard to turn a profit . I don't even deal with hatcheries . So I don't know how many there are across the country .

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  6. sunnyjranch

sunnyjranch Just Hatched

Feb 5, 2017
    Elk Washington
    What does a big rooster bring over there?$

7. Some as much as $25 big brahmas. Average for something like a big RIR $15 to the right person . At the sale barn some weeks you do good some weeks not good at all this time of year running closer to $10 and $12. In three or four weeks they should go up a little . At the flea market today guy was selling small and I mean small red sex link laying hens 2 for $25 and they were selling .

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by