Roosters!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kittle74, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Kittle74

Kittle74 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2016
    Will a Rooster kill new born chicks?My hen is sitting on 10 eggs,and shares her coop with the daddy Rooster a. I have been worried if he will try to kill them once they are born? He also free roams during the day time and locked up with her at night.any tips will be great!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    We probably all have different experiences, but my roosters have, in the past being perfectly fine with chicks.

1 person likes this.
  3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Generally roosters are benign with baby chicks, the reason being, they perceive them to be his offspring and under his protection as members of his flock. Some roos even offer chicks his underparts for warmups.

Of course there are always going to be exceptions. Expose him to the chicks under careful observation. That should tell you if you need to keep him away from them.

1 person likes this.
  4. Kittle74

Kittle74 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2016
    He is a Rhode Island Red and she is a black sex link,and another thing is he will try and ride her when she is off the nest. lol, and she puffs up like a turkey at him.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by