roosters

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by b.hromada, Jan 9, 2009.

1. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

hi there. I'm new, and I have a question. I have a rooster who is about 5 months old, we thought that we were getting only pullets, but oops, I have one rooster. He is really pretty! The question I have is this, at what age do roosters start to crow, and do all roosters crow, or do some just like, crow a little? the reason I'm asking is I live in the city, and I am afraid that my neighbors will have a fit if they hear him crowing. I also have 3 ducks which are very loud, and no one seems to mind them! [​IMG] I love all my "poultry" as the joke goes here, they are all pets, just as all my animals are, and I do not want to have to get rid of any of them!! If you have any information for me that would be fabulous! Also, my pullets just started to lay, and its so exciting! Oh, maybe I should mention, the rooster is a Production Red. thanks everyone, hope to hear from you soon.

2. Cackel

Cackel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    We got our baby chicks last May and the roos were trying to crow around June at first they sounded like they had a cold or sore throat, it was like they could hardly get it out , But with practic they made that beautiful sound that all roos make. We live in the country ,but we live on a street that is like in the city and no one on the street has chickens ,They all say they enjoy hearing our roos crow

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

We're in the country so the roosters crowing aren't a problem for us. Our great neighbors are a blessing and it doesn't hurt that we share our eggs with them. [​IMG]

Like Cackel, we got our chicks in May and the boys began testing their lungs at around 6 - 8 weeks old.

If I were you, I'd ask the neighbors if the rooster crowing will bother them. Maybe you could cover the coop windows with some dark cloth so he doesn't start crowing to early in the morning, especially on the weekends.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

you're lucky, I do know that some people really like the sound of a roosters crow, but here in S. Florida, I'm not so sure. So far so good, like I said, they don't mind my noisy ducks! Believe me, they can be so loud at times too. I guess I'll just have to wait and see, huh?[​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] thanks Dawn, maybe I should ask the neighbors. I know the one next to me doesn't care, because my 10 year old daughter told him all about the "flock" if you know what I mean??? I do plan on giving them some eggs as soon as they start to lay regularly. You can only eat so many, right? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by