1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MaranDude, Feb 15, 2009.

1. MaranDude

MaranDude Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    On my Computer
    I'm a first timer and I will be incubating in March but the only thing that I can't seem to figure out is what to do with the roosters when they hatch. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do after I've figured out which ones or males and females?

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    raise them for meat, of if you can't bring yourself to do that, sell the chicks on craigslist, or maybe at your local feed store.

3. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Well, keep the one you like and/or need for reproduction and give away, grow and eat, or sell them (there are many other options )

4. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    I keep several roosters, but when we have too many I go over them with a fine comb to find the ones that will show the best. With the others, I will ask around to see if anyone wants them. If none of my co-workers wants them I advertise in thel local paper the "young" roosters (making sure I say they are roosters) for $1 each. I usually have some calls and sell them. Don't expect to make much off roosters. Just look at it my way - addition by subtraction. Less birds to feed and more feed for the rest, meaning less money on feed.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by