Roosters

lombardo

Hatching
Nov 13, 2020
We are about a year and a half into raising chickens. So we picked out three baby chicks and one turned out to be a rooster. He actually is a great rooster and friendly. We decided to get some more chicks and one of those is now a rooster. I am not sure you can have two roosters with three hens. They are truely free range and we actually only feed them when there is snow on the ground. They have a nice barn to come into at night. They have three plus acres and a creek to roam in. We have the little ones in a pen with a coop and not in the barn at night. But they are beside the barn. In the day I put the little ones in my deer fenced in garden. The rooster - Louie basically stalks them all day around the edges. And he seems to be actually stalking the little rooster mostly. And he seems to be very upset when we pick him up or give him food. Louie and my 10 year old son are buddies. Everywhere my child is - Louie is there. My son does give him apples and treats. But Louie actually pecked my son after he was playing with the new chickens. I am not sure if he was thinking he was protecting the young chicks or if he is jealous. Do you think we can make it work with two roosters?

We are about a year and a half into raising chickens. So we picked out three baby chicks and one turned out to be a rooster. He actually is a great rooster and friendly. We decided to get some more chicks and one of those is now a rooster. I am not sure you can have two roosters with three hens. They are truely free range and we actually only feed them when there is snow on the ground. They have a nice barn to come into at night. They have three plus acres and a creek to roam in. We have the little ones in a pen with a coop and not in the barn at night. But they are beside the barn. In the day I put the little ones in my deer fenced in garden. The rooster - Louie basically stalks them all day around the edges. And he seems to be actually stalking the little rooster mostly. And he seems to be very upset when we pick him up or give him food. Louie and my 10 year old son are buddies. Everywhere my child is - Louie is there. My son does give him apples and treats. But Louie actually pecked my son after he was playing with the new chickens. I am not sure if he was thinking he was protecting the young chicks or if he is jealous. Do you think we can make it work with two roosters?
Louie is doing what roosters are supposed to do and that's protect their flock including from the new rooster. You have to remember that your flock in Louie's mind are HIS girls. I would be worried about your son's safety even if Louie is an angel especially if he is starting to be aggravated when your son is with the other rooster. I personally think 2 roosters, 3 hens and a 10 year old boy in the middle is a recipe for someone to get hurt even with free ranging. If it were me I would re-home the new rooster. The 2:3 ratio is not enough.

Last edited:
Louie is doing what roosters are supposed to do and that's protect their flock including from the new rooster. You have to remember that your flock in Louie's mind are HIS girls. I would be worried about your son's safety even if Louie is an angel especially if he is starting to be aggravated when your son is with the other rooster. I personally think 2 roosters, 3 hens and a 10 year old boy in the middle is a recipe for someone to get hurt even with free ranging. If it were me I would re-home the new rooster.
I think it is more the new rooster. Louie does not care if the hens he grew up with sit in my sons lap. I will need to find the little rooster a new home. They are actually my sons chickens. He is the one who raised them as babies and feeds them and takes care of them. He is the only one of us that can pick Louie up. I feel like I could never put the two roosters together so the new rooster would have to live in a pen and I can't do that.

I think it is more the new rooster. Louie does not care if the hens he grew up with sit in my sons lap. I will need to find the little rooster a new home. They are actually my sons chickens. He is the one who raised them as babies and feeds them and takes care of them. He is the only one of us that can pick Louie up. I feel like I could never put the two roosters together so the new rooster would have to live in a pen and I can't do that.
If I'm reading your post correctly Louie is the one who pecked your son and acts upset when he holds the new rooster? That was my concern. I would be worried about your son holding the new Rooster and Louie deciding to go after the new roo only to instead spur your son.

Back
Top Bottom