Roosters

Crazy_Beautiful

Songster
Nov 12, 2021
South Central Ontario
Why are some roosters jerks?

I have 1 rooster I got from a farm. They had hundreds of birds. He was 1 of 70 roosters. He isnt aggressive. He is cautious around us but never aggressive. I got him when he was 1 year old.

I have another rooster I got ad a chick and he is a lunatic. Aggressive to any but my oldest and me. Last night stupid me got locked in the coop with my middle child out in the yard. I'm claustrophobic so she tried to help me but when she got into the run the rooster tried attacking her. I feel horrible about it... I knew he was stupid and I had planned on getting rid of him in the summer but now I'm upset I didn't get rid of him sooner. I have 2 new roos (4 weeks old right now) in the house I am replacing him with.

How do I make sure I don't get another aggressive rooster? Did I do something wrong?

The aggressive rooster is a Salmon Faverolles and my calm rooster is a Blue Ameraucana.

Why are some roosters jerks?
I don't think you necessarily did anything wrong, though it's a possibility. Sometimes people inadvertently through their behavior give signals to the rooster that he is the boss so he thinks he control people and punish them if he feels it's necessary.
All roosters will have crazy hormones the 1st year or so of their life, and some roosters decide to take out their aggression on the hens inappropriately or on people. 🤷‍♀️

I have another rooster I got ad a chick and he is a lunatic.
Mainly out of curiosity, how old is he? When they go through puberty their hormones can cause them to do jerk things. If that's toward other boys or the pullets or hens they might grow out of it but since he is attacking a human he needs to be gone. That's not something they grow out of.

How do I make sure I don't get another aggressive rooster? Did I do something wrong?
You can't guarantee that. Some people play with their cockerels from hatch, others ignore them. Some people show them who is boss. Any of them can turn out good or bad. I don't know that there is a right way that works every time.

The aggressive rooster is a Salmon Faverolles and my calm rooster is a Blue Ameraucana.
Thank you for this. I've seen two or three posts in the last week or so telling people they need to get a Salmon Favorelles rooster because they are so nice and sweet. Personally I don't believe breed makes any real difference. You can get a good one or a bad one of any breed. I wish this were easier.

I have my theory...could be wrong, but this is what I believe. 1st- as chicks it is the Roosters that are the friendliest. If you have a couple of chicks that love to climb in your lab. They are boys. 2nd- Little roosters who are handled, cuddled, and loved on, turn out to be the meanist roosters. They just don't have that timid/fear thing going on and love to challenge people. Just my 2 cents.

A sharp knife, remove cockerels as soon as there are any signs of aggression. Do not wait. Then the ones that are left are nice.

How many chickens do you have? I would not keep more than one rooster unless I had more than 20 hens. Not because it can't work, but because the more roosters you have, the greater the chance is of it not working.

Mrs K

I have my theory...could be wrong, but this is what I believe. 1st- as chicks it is the Roosters that are the friendliest. If you have a couple of chicks that love to climb in your lab. They are boys. 2nd- Little roosters who are handled, cuddled, and loved on, turn out to be the meanist roosters. They just don't have that timid/fear thing going on and love to challenge people. Just my 2 cents.
So I have noticed that I tend to snuggle the babies that like handled and I have to say your theory has truly paid off when it comes to my 4/5. I handled the most cuddley and ..They ALL turned out to be cockerels 😳. And of course were/are my favorites due to handling the most as chicks. I hope however that as my boys get older they do not play out with the further idea of your theory, I do believe I would be heartbroken. I would definitely never keep an aggressive cockerel because I have children that help with the chickens and grandchildren ages 3mo to 4years that could be damaged being in with them, but again time will tell if your theory plays out in the future.

So I have noticed that I tend to snuggle the babies that like handled and I have to say your theory has truly paid off when it comes to my 4/5. I handled the most cuddley and ..They ALL turned out to be cockerels 😳. And of course were/are my favorites due to handling the most as chicks. I hope however that as my boys get older they do not play out with the further idea of your theory, I do believe I would be heartbroken. I would definitely never keep an aggressive cockerel because I have children that help with the chickens and grandchildren ages 3mo to 4years that could be damaged being in with them, but again time will tell if your theory plays out in the future.
I hope they stay sweet for you 👍

I agree about handling them. I only handle my chickens for health checks and caring for a sick chicken, or if I'm disciplining my roo. He is either picked up and held for awhile or held to the ground until he submits. Otherwise, you are changing their instinct of fearing potential predators. Chickens that get held aren't as afraid as they need to be.

Really??? Because I raised four cocks like that two are 17 weeks and haven’t attacked me do you think they will?

Back
Top Bottom