Roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hotwings, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I just wanted to add my 2 cents on the topic of roosters.

For some time now there seems to be the same threads running on roosters. They follows as such.

1. My cockerel that has been so lovable has turned aggressive.

2. How do I change this aggressive behavior?

3. How do I stop this constant crowing!

4. I have small children and can't have an aggressive roo around.

Well I hope I don't ruffle anyones feathers here about what I am about to say. For one thing I am not the world's greatest chicken expert and I am not the rooster whisperer lol. These are just my opinions after reading about them and personal observations. I just wanted to say I think everyone here on this boards have been an extremely important to help me further my knowledge on poultry.

1. Your cockerel has become a big boy now and its doing what he was bred to do. A roosters main goal is to breed with his hens, protect them and settle squabbles among the flock. As much as we love to put human traits on our feather friends we must remember they are birds. They are not mammals who learn by observing their parents. Their knowledge is pre-programed. After all how could a hen that was raised in a incubator know how to raise chicks if never learned from a hen. Although chickens do learn by some observation.

2. I don't really know if you can. Has anyone really turned a agressive roo into a docile one. I hear show them who is boss. Well pound for pound a rooster is probably the gutiest little animal around. I have seen them get their clocks clean and only to come for more. The other method I hear is kill them with kindness. Well this don't work cause I have been chest-butted while feeding treats. Who wants to pick up an aggressive 8 lb barred rock roo with those wicked spurs. I honestly believe you have to understand a roo and watch out for them.

3. The only way ya can get them to stop is to get rid of them. Roos crow case closed. I feel this is done to show the flock hey I am here and I am boss.

4. This is the one thing that puzzles me most. Why would anyone have a small child around a rooster. They would not put a small child in with a bull or stallion, what makes it different with a roo? Just because they are small they can't harm anyone? Well a roo can't really judge who is a threat and who is not. Small children have a tendency to yell and scream. A roo sees this as a threat and acts accordingly. I have seen adults scared of a mean roo(me included) so why think a roo is gonna act differently.

I love roosters and I think they play a extremely big part of the flock. They breed, protect(alright some are cowards lol) and keep everyone together. I wish there was a docile roo that would do all these things. Maybe someone will breed on someday.

2. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    stew pot [​IMG]

3. ml

ml Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    Agree with Lacey.

ML

4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, totally agree. I've learned the hard way that an aggressive roo won't change his feathers. I guess we just have to hope that we raise enough tolerable or relatively sweet ones to meet our needs. The rest can go to the stew pot!!!!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I agree that one aggressive move by a rooster gets him gone from here, one way or another. Now, I won't allow a rooster to even flirt/dance around me like I'm one of his hens. To me, it shows that he is bringing me down to his level and I won't have it. That's when I might carry him around and humiliate him; but aggression is probably just going to continue. I do NOT want to have to watch my back out on the property, ever.

6. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Hummm...this is an interesting thread! I must be one lucky dude! All three of my roos are docile towards me and two legged inhabitants of this house. (Not so towards each other!) In fact, my barred rock had the habit of pecking at me when I picked him up at night but I kept at it. Now he sticks his head into my armpit (Yes, I wear deodorant!) and makes a gurgle sound. (Yes, I have THAT much time on my hands! LOL!). I don't know, I think it's like anything...you got to catch them when they are off guard and touch them a lot! At least that is what seems to work for me. They'll get aggressive towards the cats and any other type of bird that dares to come near the ladies though. Our cats have learned to ignore them and one of them "Tiger" will go by the hens that are dusting to get dusted too. It's funny to watch him...at first I thought he was trying to hunt her but...no, he plomped right next to her and rolled around as she dusted at him! When she moved...he moved on to the next one.

I learn more and more each day! Thanks for listening to me ramble....sorry!

~:->

7. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    I've only ever had two aggressive rooster, and both were cured of this problem. Both were RIR, the first one started off slowly dancing around and trying to look big, but the second he tried anything, I gave him a good kick accross the pen, If I remember right he came back twice more and got the same treatment, and that was the last time I ever had a problem out of him. The other one (I had them at the same time), tried his stuff about a month later and we had the same results. I figure any future roosters will get the same thing if they start thinking they're big stuff.

Right now I have the perfect rooster! He's non aggressive to anyone, and very quiet. Now we'll just have to see how things go when my baby roo gets big.

If I ever end up with an aggressive rooster that I can't correct, he won't be staying here.

8. speckledhen

None of my three roosters have ever been aggressive toward me. I have a large Barred Rock I got when he was grown, a much larger Blue Orpington I hatched and a black Ameraucana who is basically a kid at about 7 months old. They are all three very personable and easily handled and I feel completely comfortable doing anything around them. That's the way it should be. Just because they are docile with me does NOT mean they can't handle themselves in a crisis with their women. They are all three excellent protectors so far.

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Good summary, Hotwings. I am in your camp and tend to agree with you on all counts. The rooster is the original male chauvanist. In the other camp are those who would emasculate the cock, expecting him to be a big softie, making everyone happy. Sort of like a liberal at election time.

As far as I know, assertiveness is a trait like others, and it has been claimed that it can be bred out of the male. If that is so, too much of that and you will have a milquetoast cock, afraid of his own shadow. You wouldnt want that would you?

But, luckily his nature remains intact for the time being. Now, I aint no expert, mind you, but some aggression has got to be good for the flock as a whole. The rooster himself knows this... it is a matter of degree, it seems.

The chickens world is a savage place, one we cannot be a participant in except by vicarious observation. The male has a tough job, when you consider his place in things. Here are his obligations, in the main:

1. Breed like the dickens.
    2. Make vigorous offspring - no wimps allowed.
    3. Eat as much as possible to survive.
    4. Fight with other males.
    5. Protect the flock from attack.
    6. Make room for the next generation
    This last one is almost always accomplished by the act of dying, the old cock a burned out husk by the age of three.

Yet, somehow, he has to do all of these things while also being a "sensitive," unobtrusive fellow in a pink polo shirt? Yes, it's safe to say I empathise with them.

It really comes down to you and how you choose to deal, doesn't it? Do you cower in fear of him, and allow him to run amok, a little chicken yard Stalin? Maybe you whack his head off and let him make friends with a mess of dumplings? Some will attempt to set him in his place with a swift kick or swipe of the broom - and watch their backs. I suspect the answer is somewhere in between. Likely it's a combination of things - call them adaptations if you will - since each cock is different.

I dunno what'll work for you. As I said, I live in town, and until I can move out, I won't have cocks. Not my only choice, of course, but just the way it is for now. This leaves me out of any real experiential commentary (that word is for you, Cyn [​IMG] ), and so I can only muse and wax philosophic on the matter. But I always enjoy partaking of the The Great Roo Debate. 'Glad you brought it up.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2007
  10. speckledhen

Dave, sweetie.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by