1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roosters

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ksct, Sep 1, 2009.

1. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    Can someone please post a picture of your Welsummer rooster and the Rhode Island Red Rooster?
    We currently have Bo's and I LOVE the look of one of the above roos I just don't know which one it is for sure. lol
    GREATLY appreciated! we'd like to get some more birds.

2. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Its more than just looks, your BO's (and mine and others;) are a specific breed and so have certain dependable traits. Throw another breed in there and it changes everything. I also love RIR's, it was my first flock/breed but they are a bit "more" in some ways, a bit "less" in others, like broodiness/raising chicks, RIR's usually will not where BO's will...

My answer to that was (so far) to take my favorite young RIR hen and my absolutely gorgous and smart, sweet BO roo, incubate the eggs and I got a hen and a roo. The roo/son is now more peaceful than a RIR roo and since he's so young, I'm hoping he's as smart as his daddy. I am keeping them in pens/coops side by side so the son (BP, Brewster/Patty, his dad, mom's names) can learn from Brewster. So far, PB the daughter (Patty/Brewster) is a broody girl, sits on eggs laid so she's turned out nicely also!

In the meantime, my broody BO hen, Big Mama is raising her first brood and I'm not sure but I think Patty (RIR) left an egg or two in that nest but all I've seen is five fluffy and healthy chicks, all BO's. I know BO's eat more, are big standards but they are awesome and I plan to take Brewster to the state fair next year, he'll be three then.

I'll have Wed/Thurs off and take pics of the BO/RIR BP and PB if you'd like but its raining hard these past three days, will still be raining on my days off but I really like the personalities and traits of these two favorite's offspring so far! In the meantime, look at pics under breeds, from the search option on this site;)

Here's what I found on Search; Welsummer:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=231329

RIR roo, first pic on the right:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=237888

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  3. Poupoulles

Poupoulles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    If you want that classic rooster "look" but still want the calm demeanor, you should try a Partridge Rock. They are plymouth rocks so they are unagressive and a good dual purpose breed, but they have that classic rooster look. When I get on my other computer I will post a pic of mine. I lurve him.

4. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    My BO roo is starting to look very handsome I just love the color of the RIR and welsummers. I'd like to perhaps breed a RIR and BO. does anyone have any pics of that mix? [​IMG]
    And i will look into the partridge rock as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by