Roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by broy74, Jan 17, 2010.

1. broy74

broy74 New Egg

Apr 22, 2009
    If we do not plan on hatching our own chicks, what is the benefit of having Roosters? We have two Roosters and they are hard on my chickens. I would like to only have chickens, since we only want the meat and eggs. Please advise.

2. Turkenlover

Turkenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Colorado
    I don't keep roosters because I live in the city. My girls lay just fine without one!

[​IMG]

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    There is no reason to have a roo if you don't want to raise chicks. Although my roos do keep the peace in the flocks and watch for the boogie man (predators), one of your dominant hens will take on that role. She may even decide to crow for you but don't hold your breath on that one.
    You will still have a good flock of egg layers without a rooster to breed them all the time.

4. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    But roosters are soo fun! [​IMG] Well at least I like the ones I have (but I'm wanting to breed so I kinda need them [​IMG] )

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    If you aren't enjoying your roosters, then there is no real need to keep them around.

I like having roosters here because they serve as a protector for my flock, alarming when they feel that danger is near. They also keep my hens in line. I've done it both ways and the hens seem harder on each other than the roosters have ever been!

Like I said in the beginning though, if you aren't enjoying your roosters it isn't necessary to have them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by