Roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mustangsaguaro, Feb 11, 2008.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Have some questions regarding roosters. Is there any particular breed that the roosters are nicer, and which breeds tend to be meaner? Or does it just depend? Also, are there certain breeds that tend to be more noisy than others? If so which breeds tend to be more quiet, and which ones tend to be the noiser ones.

Kim

2. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    my cochin roo is quiet.

3. Sunflower

Sunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Berryton, KS
    My banty rooster is very nice. He is a noisy little thing, but he's not mean at all, lets you pick him up all the time.

I have a Lakenvelder rooster that is pretty mean. He'd be really mean if he wasn't lame. He'll spur you out of the blue or try to jump on your head when your bent over in the coop. But he's so clumsy (he's got bent toes and a bad hip-genetic problem I think) he doesn't connect too good.

4. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    Silkies!

5. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I think it really just depends on the rooster, rather than the breed. All ours are nice (we have eight, all different)...and they are all about equally noisy...the ones lower down the pecking order are quieter.

6. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I guess it depends. My 2 silkie roos are sweet. My other silkie roo tries to attack me every chance he gets. No problems on the 4 buff orp roos though. They seem to be very sweet [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by